16. A movie that lasted two years

Kyden was holding the arm of the woman he just grabbed. His grip was tight even before he spoke to her. But the lady, appearing to be in a trance, did not even flinch at his force.

"Snap out of it." He spoke. He could see that something was wrong with her behavior.

She was staring blankly at her hand and not moving. Although he could not tell what it was, her face was void of emotion other than an inexplicable hunger for something.

"Miss Mona." He called out.

The woman who seemed to have broken out from a trance blinked after being called and shifted her head towards him.

Finally, Kyden completely saw the face of the woman he only met two years ago. Nothing changed at all, he thought. Except the messy long black hair back then was tied neatly at her back and a few locks are falling freely on both sides of her face now. And the gaunt face and pale skin she once had, was now brimming with vibrancy.

Her wide-opened eyes blinked once again. Recognizing him.

"G-Grand Duke?"

"Welcome back, Miss Mona," Kyden replied.

He had so many questions, as to why she was there, what happened when the darkness came, who was she fighting with, and how she got hurt badly.

But he couldn't understand why his lips spoke out the warm words he wished she could hear when she came back.

He witnessed how her plump and rosy cheeks became redder. And for a second, Kyden doubted if she was really the talkative and unrefined lady he accompanied. Because her blushing at his words like that took him aback, when years ago, the woman shamelessly clung to him without even feeling embarrassed at all.

Of course, he can't really tell what kind of a person she is just after spending a few days together. But somehow, Kyden deemed her to be so carefree and heedless of others' insignificant words, and on top of that, an affectionate woman. To have such deep emotions toward someone she did not know.

"Your grace!" Mona, finally realizing what was happening, shouted and jumped on him.

Kyden did not expect the reaction, but he instinctively caught her. If not for his sturdy body, perhaps he would have vomited blood on her impact, and Kyden thought it was amazing how she did not even feel hurt upon meeting with his armor face to face.

The lady's hands embrace him. It stayed on his back for a few seconds before shifting to his chest.

Mona looked up and saw the Grand Duke observing her. She felt embarrassed, but unlike before, she tried her best not to blush or be obvious. She was going to say something when the Grand Duke's hand held her wounded arm again and pulled it closer to him.

'He must be wondering where I got them...' Mona thought while looking at the grim face of the Grand Duke.

"You need to be treated immediately. You've been bleeding since earlier."

She observed the Grand Duke again, but the warm welcome she felt earlier was now gone. His usual cold and nonchalant face was back.

She stepped back and tried to pull her arm back, but the Grand Duke did not let her go.

"I can treat it myself." She insisted.

"Have you learned healing magic?"

"No." She shook her head. "I will treat it normally."

"Then you can just have it treated by one of the magicians here."

"You've forgotten magic doesn't work on me. " She answered back.