15. Adriana

"Indeed. The chaos has arrived. It is now time to calm the dark."

The words of the first highest priest are puzzling to Mona.

But before she could ask him, the first highest priest settled his right hand on her head and spoke.

"Lives are at stake at the empire you came from. A demon appeared and incited monsters to slay more humans. They need help." First Highest Priest Yunis met her eyes, "Demons aren't afraid of anything. They do not surrender even in the face of being purified. But they know how to obey."

Mona only became more confused.

'Obey...?'

"Please explain it more to me."

"We have no time. You must leave now." The first highest priest declared.

Then a portal from behind her opened and sucked her in. The portals created by the oracle are out of pure divine mana, which is why it worked on her.

After ruffling her hair, the high priest's hand let her go.

"Whether you come back here or stay outside, the choice is yours. But remember, if you still think you aren't welcomed anywhere.... then, come back here."

The suction of the portal was so strong that no matter how Mona tried to struggle to stay on the ground, it was just in vain.

She saw the disappearing image of the first highest priest, the man who had become like her father in that short time, smiling at her gently.

"This place had now become your home. You can always come back, Adriana."

His last word echoed inside the portal.

The name was bestowed to her by the oracle himself.

Which means 'dark'.

Adriana.

Her heart was moved by the first highest priest's words and was also saddened. She didn't even have the chance to at least annoy the Saintess one last time before she left.

Aside from the first highest priest, Eli, the Saintess, was the second person she had grown closer to. Although the Saintess was very quiet and only talked when needed, once Mona pestered her to the bones, her words and actions would become more vulgar and violent which Mona found entertaining.

During her stay in the holy nation, First Highest Priest Yunis had become her father while Elizabeth had been her friend and entertainment.

Of course, she can always come back as the first highest priest said, as long as she possesses divinity. But once she enters again, her freedom would once again fall into the hands of the highest priests. Since they were the only ones who could permit someone to leave. Even Elizabeth had no control over that.

The portal emitted a blinding light that she instinctively shielded her eyes with her arm. When she put it down, what greeted her the moment she exited the portal was a place covered with thick fog.

She could see knights standing and somehow looking joyful. And she also spotted the Grand Duke of Adri.

She intended to approach him but also stopped in her tracks.

Mona was hesitant. Since it has been two years, she wondered if the Grand Duke still remembers her. But apart from that, she's quite afraid that if she said she wanted to stay with him, she would really become his horse' playmate.

In the end, she decided to walk towards him.

But Mona was struck by a throbbing pain in her heart. It made her stop moving once again. She clutched her chest as if taking something away from it to ease the pain. She breathed out and felt goosebumps rise on her skin. Like a predator waiting for its prey, her instinct became sharp and felt something evil approaching the knights. She immediately glanced upon a place where her senses were pointing, and before clashing with whatever it was, she covered the entire place with darkness.