21. Her lighthouse

"Did you come from the Holy Nation?"

The maid gave a timid smile.

Mona could perceive the answer to her own question. And she felt anxious at the idea of being followed or watched by the priests. Perhaps her worries and thoughts were visible on her face, and the maid immediately shook her head and spoke.

"Fret not, my lady. I did come from the holy land, but I've been here for three years already. His grace was aware of that, so he personally commanded me to be your maid."

Relief poured over her. Her anxiousness about being under surveillance was immense. After all, Mona hated it most. She wondered what her landlady would feel if she knew she was being watched by her.

'I should give thanks to his grace if I see him.'

Mona sighed and sat down again.

"But how did you leave the nation? Were you allowed and received permission?"

The maid furrowed her brows at the question.

"What do you mean, my lady? I simply decided to leave the land."

"And how were you able to leave? The barrier..." Her words were cut off when she realized the maid's confusion.

"The barrier only works from outside, my lady. Whoever wants to leave can leave." The maid finished her words, but different from what she intended.

"Now, let me clean the table, my lady. I will prepare your bath after, so please don't fall asleep again."

The maid was already gone and all, but Mona still remained frozen on her spot. She was lost in thoughts.

If what the maid had said was true, then why was she unable to leave? She tried to pass through the barrier where she parted with the Grand Duke plenty of times. It will only create an illusion that she actually did, but she'll always end up in the same spot. Whether she jumps into the water or runs on the boardwalk, she would still be inside the barrier. It was as if she was tied under a spell.

So, she believed that everyone was like that. And it works like that for whoever tries to escape. That's why she called the nation a mere cage. But it turns out the cage only works for her.

She was the only one held captive in that place.

But why?

Why would the nation lie and lock her up, just to free her after two years?

And who else knows about that fact? Does Eli know?

Was the first high priest the one responsible for this? After all, he was the father of the holy land.

So then, was the gentle smile and affection he showed her wasn't genuine at all?

Her thoughts were going astray. Was there a reason for all of those?

"The prophecy...." She murmured. Answering her own questions.

A prophecy where she was the subject, they say. But she was also the most oblivious to what it was. No matter how many books she had read in the great library of the temple, she did not find any book or article related to soul summoning. There had never been a case like her.

The knock on the door disturbed her train of thought and ended her unending speculations and unanswered questions. She looked at the door and wondered why the maid had to knock and wait for her response, instead of just coming in.

She walked and opened the door herself.

Behind was the Grand Duke, wearing a dark tunic tucked in his pants, the three buttons below the neckline were opened, revealing a bit of the Grand Duke's toned pectoral muscles.