56. Finding answers (4)

"Brother."

Shelly uttered but her mouth instantly shut closed after her eyes shifted behind her sibling. She lowered her head and opened the door widely.

Outside the room, Sir Lionel and the Grand Duke were standing. As soon as the door was opened wider, the Grand Duke walked inside and looked at Mona.

She immediately stood and gave him a nervous smile. Justifying her disappearance earlier, she speak cautiously, "I just came here to thank her for her check-ups..."

"Is that so?" She nodded to him. And he continued, "Did you thank her enough then?"

Hearing his question, she realized how she just went and expressed her gratitude without giving in return.

Looking a bit shameful, she shifted her eyes to the head mage and asked, "Right. I didn't give you anything as a token. Do you...have anything you want perhaps?"

But Shelly shook her head and answered casually, "You already gave me something, didn't you? You healed my wounds earlier. That's enough."

"Wounds?" Lionel intervened with them and asked worriedly. "What wounds? Were you hurt, Shel?"

Shelly answered her brother who came closer to her and inspected her appearance. "I was earlier. I made a slight mistake during my experiment and it exploded. I only got bruises all over. That's all."

"I told you to be more careful," Lionel answered with a frown.

"I was. I just got distracted by some noisy drumming."

Sandra coughed after hearing the magician's answer. While Mona averted her gaze and pretended to look around the room.

When her maid finished her fake coughing and silence ensued inside the room again, she turned to the Grand Duke and asked, "But how did you know were here?"

"Servants."

"Oh."

"And I intend to visit Shelly as well," Kyden added and looked over the dumbfounded mage.

She looked puzzled as to why the Grand Duke would visit her, but her face showed a bit of glee. Flashing her timid and polite smile to the Grand Duke, she asked carefully, "Is there something you need from me, my lord?"

"Yes," Kyden answered and looked back to Mona. "I plan to have her accompany us on our travel."

"W-What?" She threw a glance at the mage and saw her crestfallen shoulder but when she noticed her gaze, she immediately glared at her before composing herself again.

Mona was aware of her feelings toward her master, so she was hesitant to agree. Not that her opinion matters anyway, and surely the Grand Duke had a reason for taking the mage with them.

"Do you not intend to go visit the south and find the ancient relic?" Kyden asked her, which made her look at him again.

"I do." She answered firmly.

"Then, you must travel by land. Shelly and Lionel will accompany us. I need the head mage for quick transport if there's an urgent matter and the need to go back." He glanced at Sandra and said, "You will also go with us."

Sandra nodded and bowed curtly, "Yes, your grace."

"And some knights Lionel will choose will accompany us as well," Kyden added.

She bit her lips and asked him anxiously, "But, is it okay with them? They can just use a portal and reach the south easily. Why must they need to go to such trouble of traveling on horses for days?"