8. Chased by Death

The gaze of the moon could be seen outside the huge glass window panels. The silence of the night made the atmosphere inside the room appear melancholy.

So was the face of the man standing behind the fluttering curtains of the opened doors leading to the balcony of the room.

The man was gazing at the bright moon. It shined so bright and full. And amidst a dark silent night, only the sighs of the devastated man can be heard.

The man was the king of the empire.

Revillon Ignis Semaria.

He was standing on the balcony. His mind was preoccupied with lots of things, as a king should have. But at that moment, the only thing that he could think of was the moon shining down on him. He was reminded of how a certain someone's name was derived from it.

It gave him a headache. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed once more.

He was reminded of the discussion that happened at the Lotus Hall earlier that day. Everyone in the room was left dumbfounded. Even his upright and righteous attendant was in a daze. Although the crystal ball has finally found its true ability, they still can't say that the convicted lady was indeed innocent.

The change on the ball was, in all honesty, useless in her case since she was no longer present. Her soul was no longer there, so it could no longer be checked. Additionally, there are witnesses to prove her guilty. But the king now doubted those testimonies. It felt like everyone who was involved in the lady's death was prejudiced due to her being a dark mana wielder.

Everything was a mess.

He was afraid that if this were known, the credibility of the judiciary of the palace would plummet, maybe not entirely on his own kingdom but it could appear detrimental to his reign from a foreigner's perspective.

Especially, the Holy Nation.

Although one of the priests-in-training said such negative words on the topic of using the ball to the said lady, it can be reasoned that he was yet not prepared to be a high priest.

The Holy Nation was a peaceful country, it is due to ensuing laws that protected humanity, advertised equality between nobles and commoners, preached God's words, and strictly condemned corruption and wrongdoings.

It can even be called a paradise for simple-minded and contented individuals. The only downside is that one should possess divinity to be able to enter.

Another thing Renvillon was concerned about, is the existence and the identity of the woman who occupied the lady's body. She appears to be somehow attached to the owner's body, so he is doubting if the woman really did come from another world.

He thought that although magic is present in this world, the idea of another world existing out there is possible.

He looked up and saw tiny blinking lights starting to become even more visible in the vast night sky.

'Maybe each twinkling star can also be another world....' he thought that perhaps her soul could also be on one of those worlds, living a more righteous and unconfined life.

For the first time, the king bowed and whispered.

* * *

"Where are we going?"

Mona asked the Grand Duke who was currently untying a horse' rein on the stable.

It was already dark. The moon shined so brightly in the sky that she thought a lamp wouldn't be needed anymore.