6. Living proof

Monarki Young.

That was the name given to her by her father.

"Monarki. I gave you that name, so you will live a life like a royal."

Those are his words. At a young age, everything was served to her. Being the youngest 'princess' in her family, she was always the center of their affection. A loving older sister who never complained whenever Mona took her toys. A father who always doted on her and a mother who was always so proud of the simple things she did.

She was loved. Even when she failed an exam, she was scolded but never grounded or neglected. They gave whatever she needed, even if some were just her whims and wants. She was spoiled but she was raised well and right.

Mona believed she could live up to her name.

Until her father had an accident and died even before she graduated from high school. Her mother shouldered everything, from her sister's college fees to their daily needs and bills.

She witnessed how her mother, as a nurse, worked overtime and took twice her duties so she no longer had time to rest. So, Mona, who couldn't bear to see her mother like that, promised to give her a life of royalty.

She will build her own monarch so her mom and sister can live a regal life. She studied hard and took scholarship opportunities, she took a part-time job as a mathematics tutor in grade school while she was in high school. When she got to college, she had two part-time jobs, even when her sister had already started earning an income.

After she graduated, she kept looking for a stable job. But unfortunately, as if fate was mocking her, she couldn't get hired by all the companies she applied to. This occurrence wore her out. And perhaps, slowly, all the stress she set aside and the rejections she had, came crushing down on her.

Mona stopped searching for a job. She just went home and stayed. A week passed she just kept watching television and reading books. Then a week became a month, a year, and before she knew it, it became two years.

Her mom and sister never nagged at her for being lethargic. They never pushed her to do this or become like this. Mona never heard them complain about her being unemployed and unhelpful.

Even after many years passed, she was still treated as their youngest 'princess'. Their beloved and young Monarki.

She was loved even though she became useless.

An affection that her landlady never had, even though she was so kind and helpful.

All because she was born with darkness.

Everything about her was deemed evil. And now the only record that proves her existence in this world is being forgotten that easily.

Mona wanted that proof to live longer. At least until it was no longer considered a misfortune to even speak of it.

She wanted her landlady to not be forgotten.

"My name is Luna Evangeline."

The eyes of everyone in the room settled on her. They were confused by her answer.

"He is asking for your name. Not the owner of the body." The other priest beside the man who questioned Mona, answered.

"And I am telling you my name." She responded while smiling at them.

As if knowing that she was provoking them, the Grand Duke interrupted.

"What is the reason why you do not wish to tell us your real name?" He asked, but not even the least bit of curiosity could be seen on his stony face.