22

Kevin was right.

Whatever it took and how much it cost, no one should let Soobin and Juyeon run into each other. Never mind it was on the sidewalk just outside Chanhee's cafe which could be considered as public. They shouldn't have met each other.

Juyeon was planning to go to the cafe to meet Chanhee - his old friend, without knowing that the place he intended to go was a hideout for his ex.

But, Kevin knew. He knew Soobin would always go there because the cafe was the only place she could be with her friends. And for some reason, Kevin also knew that something horrible would probably happen if they were in the same radius simply because Juyeon wasn't alone.

His girlfriend was with him.

Public place: that was supposed to be a free place for everyone to walk through or stop by seemed to be a sinful place for Chae Soobin. Mihee was questioning why she was there.

The hatred over Mihee's face as she asked and the blank expression on Juyeon's had activated Sunwoo's reflex to be on standby. Any moves seen from here, the boy wouldn't hesitate to move as well.

"Move on, girl." Mihee spat, a faint move of Soobin's fingers to dig her nails into her palm was seen. "You and Juyeon are over anyway. Live your life."

Soobin remained silent but Sunwoo could see through her body that she was dying to fight back. Why she held back, was the biggest question so far.

"Are you mute?" It was then that Mihee launched her move, pulling Soobin by the hair. At the same time, Sunwoo hissed, his feet dragged him forward."Why can't you answer me?"

Soobin groaned, struggling to let herself off of the girl. But, the grasp was so strong that she felt her hair was about to rip off her scalp.

"Mihee, let her go," Juyeon held his girl's hand that was tugging on Soobin's hair just to receive a glare.

"Why are you defending her?" She asked while grimacing.

"I'm not. But, we are in public. People are watching." Juyeon tried to assure but to no avail, the pull became harder.

"Just let me go!" For the first time since they met, Soobin finally spoke up. Nonetheless, what to expect? Her suffering was Mihee's happiness.

And that was when Sunwoo interfered, holding Mihee's hand and squeezing it. Groans escaped her lips as she finally admitted her defeat and retreated her hand.

"Enough!" Sunwoo warned and the darkness inside his eyes was beyond anything else. "Just enough."

As everyone had calmed down, then only Sunwoo glanced over his shoulder at Soobin who was fixing her hair and dusting off her shirt. Frustration was evident on her face, and a faint of embarrassment was seen.

Exhaling, he looked at Mihee again who now was asking Juyeon to fix her hair as well. Gross - was the only word Sunwoo could think of.

"You should be ashamed of yourself. What kind of a grownup picking a fight in public?" Sunwoo got mad while his hand rummaged behind, finding Soobin's hand. "And, it's you guys who's invading her space. She would be here almost every day!"

While Mihee scoffed, questioning why Sunwoo was worked up to defend Soobin, Juyeon's face somehow was mysterious. It wasn't taken aback at what the younger could do to protect his love interest, nor it was amazed. It almost seemed like jealousy.

But maybe Sunwoo was wrong. In the first place, he shouldn't have focused on those two but on the girl who was under his care.

If only he turned around just for a second instead of dragging her away from the scene, he probably would have noticed how confused she was as she darted her gaze on his hand that was grasping her wrist. Sunwoo probably could notice the subtle move of her face scrunching as though she tried to decipher what had just happened.

Sunwoo would've noticed that if he didn't let go as soon as they stood next to her car - Jacob's car. He managed to steal the key and unlock it, before putting her stuff that incredibly hadn't lost despite the fight in the back seat.

"Just go home, noona." He assured, passing the key back to the owner. "Don't think about them. I'll talk to them."

Silent. Soobin blankly stared into the space.

"Umm... Drive safely," he added before he started his trail back to the cafe.

Three feet ahead and hands pocketed, the universe granted a surprise.

"I'm not weak."

Sunwoo pondered and slowly turned back on his heels. Chae Soobin was glaring at him.

"I'm not weak, Sunwoo." She repeated, unknowingly she had taken a step forward. "I can take care of myself."

To say that Sunwoo wasn't taken aback was a lie, he did even if it was an ounce. But then he smiled.

"I know."

The girl stumbled backward as if his answer was an attack.

"Besides, I didn't say you are weak. I was just doing a favor from Kevin. He didn't want you to meet them. I was supposed to warn you but I was late."

He lied - partially. The part he was doing a favor was correct but the rest was wrong. He did all that because he wanted to. He wanted to be useful though he knew she would push him away.

He wondered why hadn't she seen him yet. He wondered why all the efforts and affections he gave were invisible in her eyes. What was holding her back? What had been the barrier?

Much to his desire to quiz them all, he refrained himself from doing so. It pained him to smile the widest right now. Not after the small piece of his heart fell to the basement of his stomach. But he still did for her.

"Go home and relax your mind," he spread both his arms to light up the mood. "I want to drive you home but I'm still in my shift. And, I can't ask you to wait because it will be late."

A subtle move of her lips to form a smile was detected.  She had warmed up to his humor. She was better. And that was enough.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" She said that sounded like a question that simply had pulled the corner of Sunwoo's lips upward.

"You'll be seeing me first thing on the campus," he assured before he bid goodbye and turned to leave.

Now was the real deal. He would walk to the real trouble to confront the insane idea they did which he knew very well, a bit had affected Soobin.

Juyeon and Mihee were in the cafe, sitting at the table across from Chanhee who looked furious. They must have talked about something serious, considering how invested Haechan's face was for what seemed like he was eavesdropping.

"Are you crazy?" Was the first thing Sunwoo said - not to Juyeon but to Mihee. "You weren't only embarrassing her but yourself too!"

Scoffing, the girl jolted up, "Why do you care?"

"Why couldn't I?"

"Hey!" It was then that Chanhee interfered, pulling Sunwoo away from the girl. "Don't make any ruckus in my place."

"Why do you want to come here in the first place?" The younger ignored the boss and shifted the attention to Juyeon who was tapping on the surface of the wooden table. "Simply to meet Chanhee right? Then, you should leave her alone."

"He did!" Mihee switched her defensive mode on.

"You shut up!" And Sunwoo swiftly cut her.

However, little did he know, he was then cut by his boss who looked confused and furious as well.

"Is Changmin telling the truth? You're interested in Chae?"

His breath hitched at the correct assumption made by the boss. He'd been masking his feelings from being seen for all this while but it seemed like everything had come to an end.

"Yes, I am." Swiftly, he walked away to leave after sparing hatred glances over the two unwanted guests.