46

"If she asked you guys to come here and talk to me, I'm not interested," Sunwoo remarked as he held the knob of Chanhee's office, ready to leave.

"Kim Sunwoo!" But, the stern call of the boss had his plan cancelled. "Stay here. I'll leave you guys."

Chanhee walked towards the door, shoving Sunwoo's hand from the knob away as he glared. It seemed like he was cursing something 'Such a rebel' which surprisingly held such a big power.

Hadn't it, Sunwoo wouldn't have breathed out the heaviest as soon as the door closed before he turned on his heels, looking at the guests he wasn't really happy to see.

Contrary to his tight facial muscles, Jacob could still have a smile on and Minju obviously, was just scared that the plan didn't go their way. To kick off the discussion, Jacob then beckoned everyone to settle down into their comfortable seating.

It was nerve-wracking for the older. Though he had been to many conferences, meeting a lot of people from all over the world, he'd never once been put into this kind of situation. He had voiced out the concern beforehand to Minju on their way to the cafe and the girl assured him 'No one other than you can do this'.

Well, no option.

"I don't have much time. So, I hope you guys can make it quick," Sunwoo bitterly said, crossing his arms as he stared nowhere.

The sarcasm left Jacob speechless, gulping in between. Nonetheless, he knew he needed to move faster. Otherwise, the boy would be enraged.

"First of all, I would like to apologize," Jacob sincerely conveyed his sincere thought, his eyes darted to the floor to show how sorry he was. "You might've not believed me, but the news broke about me and Soobin isn't true."

"Tch," Sunwoo chuckled in disbelief, glaring as the smirk on his face faded. "I've been once deceived. Do you really think I will believe you easily?"

Jacob inaudibly sighed. He glanced over Minju which the girl blinked once, encouraging him to keep going.

"Sunwoo, you know, Soobin smiled a lot when she was a kid. When I first saw her, she probably was 8 years old. She was bright, especially knowing that she would get a new mother." Jacob flashed a small smile while reminiscing. "But, eventually, those pretty smiles faded as she grew up."

Jacob looked straight at Sunwoo's face, his almost knitted brows somehow proving that he was intriguing and silently urging the older to continue. Even if Sunwoo didn't mean that way, Jacob still wanted to keep going.

"My mother was always anxious about me. She was worried that I couldn't make it anywhere within the society because I was only a stepson of the powerful family. So, she asked Soobin if she could give up every title she would be getting. For me."

Up until there, Sunwoo's breath hitched. He indeed was taken aback but he believed, he couldn't show any emotion. At least, not yet.

But, it angered him despite a big question over his head: why should he care?

Jacob then continued, "Surprisingly, Soobin obeyed and let me have the spotlight everywhere I go. Because she thought, that way, my mother would love her. But, little did we both know, all this has left her walking on eggshells."

"Crazy girl," Sunwoo unknowingly cursed Soobin under his breath, both of his hands now clenched on his lap.

It seemed like he finally had a reason to hate the lady. No matter who she was.

The curse wasn't audible. Jacob and Minju heard it well that they secretly exchanged glances before the male cleared his throat once.

"Sunwoo, I stayed close to Soobin to make up for the damage my mother has caused her. If my closeness with her is what has concerned you, I'll take a step back. I'll trust her to you."