"He's suffering? Oh please. It's not like you care about him. You're clutching your pearls at the thought of all this splendor, decaying in father's absence right? Money is all you cared about"
He laughed bitterly at his mother's audacity, gesturing at the gleaming marble floors, and dripping luxury of Awarkzai palace.

"Remember that night years ago, when I came back at midnight. You and father were drinking. I was crying. What did you say to me then Natasha Awarkzai. Do you remember?"
Ebek turned away from his mother, staring at the television screen which was still blazing with the news of his father's arrest. His gaze hardened at his mother's silence.

"You don't remember? You said I was less of a boy, I shouldn't have been born all because I was crying and asking for the warmth of my mother's embrace. You know why I was crying that night? I was taken advantage of. I was rap*d by a woman"
Ebek haltered in front of his mother, seeing her wretched state didn't elicit a sense of sadness, instead he wanted to laugh at the transient nature of life. His mother, once so magnificent was weeping on the floor.
But he could care less.

"Ebek. I'm sorry son. I'm so sorry. I was chasing my own demons"
Her voice quivered with regret as she sobbed with each word she spoke.

"Don't make me laugh. Chasing demons? Is that an excuse for abandoning your child? I needed a mother. I needed love...I never...I have never felt anything remotely close to love. All because of you mom"
Ebek's words hung heavy in the air, reopening wounds that laid dormant for years.

"I'm sorry Ebek. Please forgive me. I'm your mother"
Natasha reached out a tentative hand but Ebek took a step back. Ebek knew that if it was upto his mother, she would throw Ebek and Shadman under the bus and run for the hills.
This was all a melodrama.

"It's too late. Mother dearest. The love I needed from you, can never be replaced but I have made my own empire, with my Queen beside me. You and father won't be needed anymore"
Ebek recoiled as a vision of Gulaab's beautiful face clouded his mind.
He couldn't wait to go back to her.

"I'm moving on from Natasha and Shadman awarkzai's fractured bond. Farewell mom. I would say I love you, but I never did. Remember, you said love is feeble"
As Ebek turned away, he gave Natasha a longing glance and left the building.

~

Past:

Sunlight peaked through the tattered curtains, casting a harsh glow inside the kitchen, a women in her late twenties maneuvered around the counter, her hands were trembling as she deftly handled the saucepan.

"Zaman beta ajao. Breakfast is ready"
Armeena yelled from the kitchen, as she poured tea in cups. Wiping her hands on the worn out stained apron, she took it off.

"Is there an egg mom? I'm craving an omelet so much"
Armeena's weathered face twisted in worry as her son hurried inside the small kitchen, and sat on the small dining table.

"Mere jaan. I'm getting paid tomorrow. I'll get groceries then okay? For now eat this sandwich, apple jam used to be your favorite when you were small"
Armeena gave him a tight smile as she wiped lint from his navy blue blazer, even though they could barely afford a good living standard, she had admitted her son to a private school, with high teaching standards.
He had grown up so much, his dark eyes had dreams for the future, he was such a kind and handsome boy even though he was just twelve.

"No worries mom. This would do. I love apple jam"
Zaman gave his mother a reassuring smile as he looked at her, her face was getting paler as days passed, the eye circles under her eyes darkening even more, her once light brown hair were brittle and already greying, her hazel eyes lost their sparkle long ago, reflecting a dead calm all the time.