⁵⁰ Délice du matin

Tom never knew being with such a cold creature could make him warm

There he was, lying beside her, merely inches apart from one another. He stared at her, eyes tracing her features and commiting them to memory. Saying that she was beautiful was an understatement.

Nothing was said between them, but it felt like a thousand words were conveyed by just how she looked up at him, her sun-colored eyes meeting with his own sky-like pair.

"May I ask?" He broke the silence, wanting to hear something other than his heart beating against his chest.

She shifted comfortably, moving just a little closer to him. Now, he could feel her cold breath fan his face, the metallic and fruity smell of her mouth a welcome one.

"What about?" she answered, her voice smooth like sweet honey.

"Your nightmare, what was it about?"

Tom could see fear flicker in her eyes, a sight that made him remember to their first days of school — how he saw her through the window as she  swam in the Dark Lake.

Ivory glanced away and down to where his hands lay atop the sheets. She couldn't tell him if she wanted to keep Grindelwald a secret. She couldn't tell him if she wanted to keep her image of being resolute and blithe in tact. No, she feared being even more vulnerable with him. She'd never been this close with anyone except Adrien — not even her cousins.

But she caught herself wanting that feeling of safety once more, and she  found that feeling only within his eyes. So she glanced back, his gaze still on her, unfaltering.

"It was about Adrien," she started, her voice small and didn't hold the confidence it always had. "He was being tortured for my doings."

Ivory shut her eyes tightly once more, vivid images of what she saw threatening to break past her defences.

"His screams were so real, Tom. Watching him in agony felt real. If that ever happens I- I don't know what I'd do."

He watched her lip tremble, her body closing on in itself as she tried to soothe herself. Like a child without a mother, she wrapped her arms tightly around her torso. The sight made his heart ache — a feeling so foreign that it left himself unsure and scared.

Was he beginning to care?

Without thinking, his arms moved to their own accord, moving over close to her and wrapping her in a comforting embrace. She felt small as he held her, her head pressing tightly against his chest. Once again, Tom never knew being with such a cold creature could make him warm.