¹⁷ Alptraum

Ivory was oblivious to what was happening

She was busy watching the first snowfall that year to notice the growing smile and widened eyes the boy had beside her. Eyes fluttered shut, feeling the cold snowflakes nipping at her skin as the exhaustion was catching up to her.

Slowly, she faded out of consciousness.

Tom didn't notice the girl blacking out. With a smile still on her lips, he thought that she was only enjoying the feel of snow on her face. But as he spoke and she didn't respond, he furrowed his brows, thinking that she was ignoring him.

"Lavigne." His voice turned stern as he sat up stiffly, now entirely facing her. "Lavigne I'm speaking to you! You will assist me, whether you like it or not, you have no choice." Tom demanded, his voice growing deeper and brows furrowing together.

But Ivory didn't reply, nor move.

The blonde was just sitting there, with her back against the railings and head still tilted up. Spots of moisture now gathered in her face and arms from the snow, an upturned smile still on her face. She hadn't move. It was like time froze—no, she had froze, the light white flakes still cascading around them.

Now, Tom was starting to grow puzzled. His brows no longer furrowed from anger but in confusion.

"Lavigne?" His words now softer, "What's wrong with you?"

His hand slowly reached out to her shoulder, shaking the blonde girl. But as he did, Ivory's head lolled forwards, no longer being supported by the railings behind her.

There Tom realized she'd fainted.

Her figure was noticeably colder. Hurriedly, he picked up her body. Reaching his arm under her legs and the other supporting her back. Misty condensation formed as he huffed out labored breaths, the heating charm Ivory casted no longer in effect.

The Astronomy staircase felt endless and the way to the hospital tower was perpetual. Nevertheless, Tom finally reached the hospital wing, the matron hurriedly accessing Ivory's state.

"She's freezing, boy! What were you two doing out in this weather?" Madam Hadkins' piercing voice berated Tom as she retracted her hand from Ivory's forehead.

The girl was now in one of the hospital beds, wrapped with thick blankets to help bring her temperature down.

It wasn't going to help, but the two didn't know that.