¹⁴ Étranglement

Ivory had her eyes closed, her body suspended in water

When she was diving in the lake from the cliff, it was as if she was flying. Like an angel falling from heaven. Though with that imagery, does that mean she was Lucifer? Ivory doesn't care anyways, she thought religion was for the muggles who found a way to cope with the mundane torture of their unfortunate luck.

The cold temperature of the lake was akin to hers. Opening her eyes again, she looked around the lake, only the bright moon lighting the surface of the water. Ivory had no trouble seeing in the dark. After all, she was a hunter in the night by nature. Brown irises now glowed golden as her eyes adjusted to their dark surrounding. The girl had no trouble staying underwater for too long, for she doesn't really need oxygen to stay conscious.

Swimming deeper, Ivory could see the flora and fauna that lived in the lake. Seaweed tickled her legs and baby grindylows tried to bite her as she swam by. Now, all Ivory had to do was swim around in hopes to meet the giant squid she really wanted to meet.

The girl swam unknowingly towards the castle, the cliff beginning to unravel.

A green glow caught her eyes and she looked downwards. The outside view of her common room was a strange sight to see as she swam nearer. Normally, they were the ones looking out to the lake, but now, she was  looking in.

As she neared the windows, Ivory spotted a silhouette on the sofa, her vision blurry because of the green tint the water had. Squinting her eyes, she tried to figure out if it was a person or just a pile of discarded clothes. But as she saw movement, it was too late for Ivory to swim out of the figure's vision.

Tom Riddle had seen her.

She recognized him immediately from his neat hair and the black shirt he wore from dinner. As Tom swiftly stood up, Ivory hurriedly tried to swim away, her nightgown adding difficulty to her movements. Merde, I thought he would have been inside his room by now, the girl thought as she flailed her arms.

Ivory's arms and legs were sore by the time she went out of the water. Hurriedly, she transformed into a small white butterfly, a shape shifting skill her kin had. The butterfly fluttered back up to the doors of the castle and Ivory changed back to her normal state, hoping that Tom wouldn't catch up to her yet.

Quietly, she opened the oak doors and slipped inside, her state still wet and dripping. With her wand not with her—a move she had miscalculated, Ivory was unable to do the spell that would dry her. So there she was, her wet feet leaving footsteps behind her and droplets of water trailing as the witch walked back to her dorm.

Ivory didn't bother hiding when she caught Tom's scent. He would have seen the trail I left anyways, getting caught hiding would be even more embarrassing. So instead, she halted in her steps and waited for Tom to reach her in the middle of the stairway.

Never in his life had Tom imagined to witness anyone swimming outside the common room windows.

Hurriedly, he stood up and ran closer to the window, unsure if his eyes were playing tricks on him. When Ivory swam away, his doubts disappeared and immediately went to find her. Tom wanted to ask the girl questions, just the audaciousness of her actions bewildered him, his curiousity already peaked.

Once again, his footsteps rang throughout the Hogwarts halls. Ivory heard the sound of shoes ascending the staircase. Not missing a beat, Tom had reached her.

He looked at the witch. Her clumped up hair clinging to white porcelain skin, cheeks appearing more blush under the moonlight, and her night dress was soaked and dripping wet. Not to mention it's sheer fabric making her chest—

Tom looked at her eyes in attempt to avoid looking inappropriately.

"What on Earth are you doing swimming in the black lake in the middle of the night?!" he said in a loud scolding tone, making Ivory step back with a wince.

"Maybe I wanted to go for a midnight swim, Riddle. Haven't you thought about that?" her sarcastic voice made Tom furrow his brows even more.

"Right. Because any sane person would just decide to go out this late at night for a swim in the cold waters of the black lake at autumn, with no wand for that matter." Tom neared her with every enunciated word.

The cold breath she exhaled reached his warm skin, sending shivers down his spine. She didn't step back an inch, so now, they were only centimeters apart.

"You're right," Ivory breathed out, "No sane person would do that."

The slight tilt of her head gave Tom a better look at her eyes. He swore it shone golden back at the common room when he saw her, but now, it was back to it's warm chestnut hue.

"So perhaps I'm not sane as you think I am, Tom." the challenging statement ticked him off even more.

A masculine hand reached up to her neck, squeezing it, choking the drenched girl.

"What are you playing at?" Tom spat through gritted teeth, his veiny hand clasping harder when she smiled in reply.

"I'm merely enjoying the little freedom I have gained, Riddle. Why are you so angry?" her now coarse voice questioned.

Ivory was truly curious. She expected questions to be thrown at her but why had he reacted so strongly all of a sudden? Why would he even care what I was doing out, he really should mind his own business.

To be honest, Tom himself had no idea. He was starting to question if he was the crazy one. Why had he gotten so angry? Maybe it was the rebellious tone in her voice whenever she talked back. Her insubordination and defiance whenever he would ask her questions.

Tom Riddle was used to people's submission.

Releasing his grasp on her, he stepped back. A flush of embarrassment evident on his cheeks. Taking one last look at her, Tom swiftly turned around and descended back down the stairs, heading for the common room.

Yet again, Ivory was left there standing alone. Now soaked and questioning the actions of the wizard.