²⁴ Le crainte

Ivory was falling

Ivory was falling.

The sound of wind blowing against her ear was deafening, her heart dropping along with her. She couldn't recall the last time she felt like this. The last time she felt free. Imagery of an angel being sent down from heaven crossed her mind, to rot in the overworld for eternity.

And how true that was. Only she wasn't an angel. Not anymore at least.

Closing her eyes, Ivory focused on transforming into a raven. With a gust of black feathers swirling against the wind, she flew. The sound of wings flapping replaced her insouciant tittering as she flew back up to the top of the tower.

Tom didn't get up from where he knelt.

He didn't understand. Why would she do that? he asked himself, did she want to fall? There, he sat on his knees, hands gripping his hair in confusion. No one confused him but she was an exception, she always was when it came to him. He understood people easily, manipulating them with ease as they surrendered their mind to him, albeit not always so willingly.

Tom was in a haze, until the sound of wings broke it.

Looking up for the source, he saw a big raven. Perched on the ledge, it's black feathers shone gold as the moonlight reflected off of it. Tom looked at the bird with familiarity, it's golden glimmer reminding him of how a certain witch's hair gleamed. Even the way it tilted it's head to the side reminded him of her, seemingly observing him.

Just as suddenly as it arrived, it disappeared, turning into the witch he thought has fallen to her demise. There, Tom had his mouth agape, bewildered as to what he was seeing.

The raven transformed into Ivory.

Never did Tom imagine the night to be more shocking. Emotions were felt for the very first time, and even more secrets revealed.

"Missed me?" Said Ivory, her head tilted just as the raven did, voice filled with nonchalant.

Tom couldn't even muster a word, his speech failing him as he muttered incoherent sounds of confusion.

He watched as Ivory disappeared and transformed again into a snake. Just like the raven, it was black in color with gold iridescent scales, matching the golden amber in it's eyes. They glinted red from the light as it neared him, the size obviously bigger than the normal viper.

Kicking with his feet, Tom struggled to back away from the slowly advancing large creature. The yew wand he was holding tingled under his hands as it sensed strong malicious magic. Like second nature, Tom immediately pointed his wand at the viper as it hissed, the noise being a familiar language to him.