¹⁹ Le pact

Ivory broke the silence with a clearing of her throat

"I," She started, hesitating to continue as she avoided his gaze, "I suppose it's the right time to join your club. There's no reason not to. With my secret now in your hands, and your life in mine, we are left at a stalemate."

But we aren't, Tom thought. He could still kill the girl if she proved to be useless to him in the long run.

"I am pleased of your decision. The others will too, when we announce it tomorrow."

Not far from a stream, Ivory walked where she remembered seeing it. Twigs snapping and the slight crunching of snow made it apparent that Tom was following her.

Hoots from owls and chirping of crickets were heard as they walked. Ivory enjoyed the feeling of powdered snow on her bare feet. Shortly, they arrived at the flowing stream of water, a small tributary.

Tom watched as she kneeled down and washed her hands first, then cupping water and into her face, scrubbing off the dried blood on her neck as she did so. There wasn't any chatter amongst them.

He only observed her actions.

The way her blonde hair looked paler in the moonlight. Fingers capable of clawing a creature dead now turned delicate as she wiped her chin clean. Long eyelashes brushing against her browbone whenever she looked up. And the permanent flush on her cheeks that complimented the color of her eyes.

"Let's go back." Tom walked back towards the castle, snapping his eyes away from her.

Ivory followed, quick on her feet. With Tom leading the way, she noticed the torn fabric of his pants and blood on his legs. Now that she's watching closely, she noticed a slight hobble when he stepped with his left leg.

"I apologize, Riddle." She started, making the boy turn his head slightly at her, "For your leg, and the scratches. And perhaps the bruises too."

Ivory fumbled with her fingers, waiting for Tom to speak, but when he didn't, she spoke again.

"I wasn't in the right mind, just so you know. Quite literally. I was in a starved haze—"

Without warning, he stopped, causing for her to bump into Him. Her head turned up to look at Tom and their eyes met.

With a confused look on her face, she was about to ask what was wrong, but Tom reached out his hand to wipe away the remaining blood on her lips, cutting her off.

"A night mare, that's what you are?" he spoke softly, the tips of his finger still on the sides of her lips.

She furrowed her brows, eyes dilated as his actions confused her.

"Yes, though... not exactly," her eyes drifted to his lips for a second before looking back at his eyes, "I'm a Mare. A creature who preys on men, attacking during the night. Who controls dreams and creates horrible nightmares."

He stood transfixed by her gaze, brown now glowing golden.

"A malicious entity in Germanic folklore that rides on people's chests while they sleep, bringing nightmares and suffocating it's victims at once," She continued, "That's what I am."

"Fascinating." He breathlessly said, finally placing his hand to his sides—to Ivory's dismay. "And why do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"With your eyes. It glows golden at times."

Tom watched as her brows furrowed, "I can't control it," Ivory's voice trailed off, looking away from Tom. "It's a passive ability. Something that happens without command."

"What is it?" He asked, noticing her hesitance.

"A charm." Ivory said, walking past him and continuing towards the castle. "To lure people in as easier means to feed."

The rest of the walk was quiet.

They soon arrived to the common room, Ivory not bothering to sit on the couch as she hurriedly headed towards the girl's bathroom, deciding to take a bath.

Tom on the other hand, sat on the couch, groaning as he propped his injured leg up a stool.

"Fuck," He muttered the profanity under his breath, taking out his wand and waving it over his wounds as he incited the Wound-mending charm, "Sarcio."

Leaning back in his seat, he sighed, closing his eyes. Tom just sat there for a while, his thoughts running about the events that had just transpired that night. Today, he learnt many things about Ivory.

First, a mundane thing back at the Astronomy tower. It was that her second name was Eszter, and that it means star. Then, she showed him a side to her, he had never seen her do to others. The reminder of which was still wrapped around his neck. Finally, he learned something no one even suspected her to be in the forbidden forest. That she wasn't human. Not entirely at least, he presumed.

He was right about her having secrets. And he was right about unveiling them. Tom Riddle had figured her out.

The girl he was thinking of got out of the bathroom and into the common room, partially wet and wrapped within a towel.

Surprised to see him still there, she stumbled a few steps. His scent wasn't as strong now compared to when she was starving. Huh, she thought, perhaps my shampoo masked his scent.

"Riddle," Ivory exclaimed facing front, hiding her back from him, "It's nearly a quarter to one. You should've went to bed already, I know you're exhausted."

"My mind is still racing, Lavigne. I wouldn't get a blink of sleep if I tried." An exasperated tone clear in his speech.

"Then perhaps a sleeping draught will do you good." Her steps steadily moving away from him and towards the girl's dormitory.

"Lavigne, wait." Tom said, grabbing her wrist.

"You know Riddle, you do that quite a lot. And I do not fancy being touched." A warning tone clear in her statement.

"Tomorrow. We shall talk about your end of the bargain. Meet me in the Trophy room after breakfast. The meeting with the knights will be at midnight. We will go together." He let go of his grasp on her.

Combing her hand through her wet hair, Ivory nodded. When Tom moved away, she spoke again.

"I think you're forgetting something."

"What is it?"

"My wand." Ivory deadpanned.

"Right." Tom said as walked towards the table, retrieving the black and red wand.

Handing it to her, she grabbed it and walked towards her room.

"And don't even think about mentioning about our deal to anyone." Tom called out his warning.

"I won't, mon beau. I do hope you take that sleeping draught, Tom. Bonne nuit." Ivory left, bidding him good night.

Tom didn't miss to see the faint scars peeking from her back.