³⁴ Vacances de Noël

Hogwarts Express was cozier than Ivory expected

Honestly, she didn't expect much from the muggle-inspired contraption, but it wasn't that far from their fancy carriages.

She leaned against the comfortable cushion and watched the snowy outside view, snowflakes sticking to the frosted windows. Ivory wasn't exactly happy about the idea of going back home. Sure she would see her brother again, but that was the only good thing that her return would bring. Usually, she would stay in another manor, but with her mother mentioning some family meeting, they would have to stay at their main one.

"Why are you here?" Alexis' voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

Ivory raised a brow at the boy, who looked uncomfortable with how he sat beside a reading Abraxas.

"Rude," is her only reply, to which the other boy chuckled at.

"No, what I meant to say was, why are you riding with us? Where's the girls?"

"They're sitting with the rest of the boys," Abraxas answered for her, to which Alexis replied a simple, "Oh."

"Then where is Tom? Surely they won't fit in one compartment," Ivory asked.

"He has his own compartment since he is a prefect," he replied, eyes still glued to a book he's reading.

"Hmm," she acknowledged, eyes trailing back to the winter fields.

The fast-paced scenery strangely made her drowsy, so she closed her eyes in hopes to achieve sleep even though she does not need it.

"Ivory!" She heard someone call her. "Ivory Eszter! Komm sofort hierher!"

Mother, Ivory whispered quietly. She felt her heart beat faster as her mother called for her immediately. Footsteps rang louder in the hallways, the threat approaching ever nearer. Her small frail body stumbled out of the blankets engulfing her, and bolted out the door, wanting to escape from the clasps of the wicked witch.

"Ivory Eszter come here this instant!"

Gizelle's voice rang in Ivory's ears, making tears well up in the girl's eyes as if by command. The heavy rain pattered against the window mimicked her steps as she ran the other direction.

No, Ivory sobbed to herself as she ran towards the exit. Her body felt heavy. In reality, it was light, she was just weak.

Finally, she reached towards the door, escaping the grasps of her mother. Cold rain poured down on her frail figure and wind knocked against her hair.

She didn't stop running.

Bare feet dug against gravel, taking her to the farthest hedge in their garden. Lightning struck and thunder followed. She let out a cry, falling down to her knees as she felt like the ground shook. Lying in the wet gravel, Ivory let out her tears, holding on to herself as she sobbed.

It seemed like the thunder was never neverending.

"Ivory."

The voice jolted her awake, chest heaving as she took deep breaths. I never want to sleep again. It was always her past she dreams about, never anything else.

"Ivory. You alright?" the blonde looked where the voice came from, it was Abraxas.

"Sorry, bad dream," she cleared her throat, sitting up properly.

"For a second, it looked like you were dying there. With the twitching and stuff." Alexis snickered, to which she responded with a flick of her hand, sending a small spark of electricity to his face.

"Hey!" the curly-haired boy exclaimed."My nose just healed you know."

"Get ready, we're here." Abraxas announced, tucking the book he had into his bookbag.

The train slowly came into a stop.

Students slowly poured out, running towards their to whoever were meeting them, carrying their luggages along with the cages for their owls.

Ivory looked around for Tom, hoping to see him before she'd go back home. She asked herself why, but justifies it as looking out for him and perhaps his presence could give her courage.

"Lavigne," his smooth voice rung from behind her.

Ivory turned around to see him, dressed in warm clothing and the coat she bought him.

"Riddle," she tried her best to hide the smile that was creeping up her lips but she was inadvertently failing.  "Right, I'll see you tomorrow?"

Tom noticed the smile she gave him and he felt strangely warm. Never has this happened before. He blinked away the feeling and replied, "Yes. You can fetch me in the morning, I'll have my things ready by you arrive."

She nodded mutely in reply. A familiar voice called her from her left. Ivory turned to search for who it was and she saw her only favorite person.

"Ian!" Ivory beamed, running towards a well dressed tall boy. Tom watched as he swept her off her feet with a tight embrace, causing the girl to chuckle. He was dressed in a thick black wool coat over a striped shirt and a striking red tie.

The way Ivory smiled towards the unknown man made Tom frown.

Sure she smiled at the Ravenclaw dimwit, but he knew that was fake. This smile however, was the most sincere emotion Tom had seen her show. She wasn't even like that with me. Ivory looked at him the last time and waved before walking with the man, her figure growing farther from him.

All Tom wanted then and there was for tomorrow to come.