¹ Tout à coup

The floating candles twinkled above students, shining upon their fresh faces

Headmaster Dippet cleared his throat before continuing his welcoming speech, for it was yet another year at Hogwarts. The sorting ceremony had just finished and the students were already eager to eat their long-awaited dinner.

"Yes yes quiet down students, I am happy to welcome all of you back to Hogwarts! And as for the first years, this castle will serve as your second home," Dippet opened his arms out in a welcoming manner and continued, "Now, we shall move on to other matters. We have a new student transferring today!"

Voices of curiosity were audible from every table.

"She came here all the way from Beuxbatons, let us welcome her, shall we?" his ending statement sounded off as the cue, the Great Hall doors opened to reveal a girl dressed in a light blue uniform.

She strutted down across the hall, heading in front of the pandemonium the headmaster was speaking from. Her blonde hair flowed behind, like her own personal cloak. Normally, she preferred to have it up as to not get in the way. But she had no time to do her hair, arriving in time was of the utmost importance.

The sound of heels was the only noise that could be heard as she walked past awestruck students. They didn't expect a transfer, it was not a common thing to occur at Hogwarts, more so now that there was a war rumoured to arise.

Stopping in front of the Great Hall, she looked up at the old man, smiling sickly at him and the rest of the staff.

"Good evening, forgive me for my improper uniform headmaster," her voice dripped sweetly, a slight accent could be heard as she spoke. "I haven't got the time to change into my new ones, considering I had to travel quite a distance within a small amount of time."

Fidgeting with his purple robes, Dippet gave her a reassuring nod and waved her over to where a chair stood. A teacher stood beside it waiting for her, holding an old worn down pointy hat. She walked towards the chair and sat, her leg crossing the other as she straightened her back.

The students were still wondering who this girl could be since she wasn't even introduced yet. Murmurs were heard as the girl observed them from her seat, taking in all the stares she was receiving.

One stare was prominent out of all of them.

Tom Riddle was a curious boy. Even more now that something out of the blue came about the predictably boring year. A transfer from Beuxbatons? he questioned himself.
Why would someone transfer from such a school? Given that he has only heard greatness and extravagance that came to whoever attended there.

While the whispers went on, a voice sounded off in her head. "My my what do we have here? Ah, an exceptionally brilliant witch you are. You hold knowledge not many witches of your age possess, that is no doubt. But you only value it for future use in your endeavours, correct?"