²² L'un d'eux

Ivory had a long day

Dinner ended with Walburga and Cyrus still managing to bicker despite changing seats. Now, the three girls were in their room, already changed into their night wear.

"Did you enjoy both your days today?" Ivory voiced out to both girls as she brushed her hair, seated in front of a mirror on her desk.

"Yes, we enjoyed greatly!" Maeve replied, her body bouncing as she jumped back on her bed, mind replaying the day they spent at Hogsmede.

"Pity you couldn't come with." Walburga said from her own bed, a hand on her chin as she stared at the chess board, "Knight takes rook on H five."

The chess piece moved on it's own, going to where she commanded it to. The black knight knocked down the white rook, making the fallen piece skid off the board.

"You better come with next time Ivory, Hogsmede is quite nice you know," Without sitting up, Maeve added, "Pawn to G five. Checkmate."

After the white pawn moved one step up, the black king fell, indicating the lost of the black pieces.

Walburga fell face down on her bed as she groaned, "I don't understand," Her voice muffled by the pillows, "Why are you so good at chess?"

"And I don't understand why you're so bad at it," Maeve replied, "You're smarter than I am."

"Walburga's just not good at tactics and concentration, Maeve. Though I'm sure you'll beat her someday cousin." Ivory consoled as she rifled through her desk, in search of her Astronomy book.

Then she remembered that she probably left it in the Astronomy tower back when she fainted. Sighing, she figured she'll just have to retrieve it when the meeting ends with Tom.

Maeve was the first to bid them goodnight. Walburga took a longer time to sleep, reading Maeve's book about chess. Ivory had to tell her off when she got frustrated, the girl's forehead creasing as she tried to analyze endgames.

The short hand already passed twelve in her Cartier clock, it was quarter past midnight. As soon as she was sure Walburga was asleep, she slipped on a pink cotton bed jacket over her white nightgown. Quietly, she creeped out and into the common room, grabbing her wand in the process.

There, she found Tom sitting in the leather couch by the glowing fire.

"Took you long enough." He huffed, standing up from his seat as she approached.

"Désolée, I had to wait for both of them to sleep as to not arise suspicion." Ivory replied, following Tom as he exited the common room.

Tom glanced back at her as he walked in front, raising a brow at what she was wearing. She was only wearing a bed jacket and it looked thin, the ribbons clasping it close didn't look much help in keeping the cool air out either. Not to mention the lack of sleeves. Even he was chilly with his heavy sweater and robe. Tom still couldn't quite wrap his head around her not being to feel the freezing temperature.