²⁹ L'ont échappé belle

Everything was starting to turn red

The air felt heavy to the point of Ivory's knees giving up below her. She grabbed the nearest thing for support which was Tom.

Tom.

All she could hear now was his muffled voice and steady pulse, face contorting into concern. Strong hands gripped her upright as she tried to drown out the smell of blood. Sweet savory blood.

Everything was starting to turn red and that was bad.

Ivory tried to talk to him, tried to tell that they needed to get out of there. But her senses was too overwhelmed that the only thing she could do was look at him in plea. She hoped that Tom could read her expression and take her away from there, and by luck he did.

"Come on." Tom beckoned as he pulled her away from the crowded street and nearer into the open field.

After a few feet away the buildings, Ivory could finally breathe without thinking she would go feral. She breathed heavily, hyperventilating from thinking about how good fresh blood would taste right there and then. Ivory looked down to where her grip tightened and she didn't realize Tom was holding her hand with his.

Cold clasping warm.

Looking up, Ivory's gaze fell into his inviting blue pools. Tom's warm hand fell from hers and she felt like falling when he did, but welcomed back the warmth he gave to her face. His hands were now cradling her head, eyes swimming with concern.

"Ivory, listen to me. You'll be alright, just keep it in till we go back okay?" Tom nodded to her in assurance, and Ivory mimicked his actions mutely in reply.

"Just focus on me. It's just us now. No one else, no blood, nothing. It's okay."

Tom wasn't sure why he was reassuring her, but if Ivory's secret would be revealed there at Hogsmede, then it wouldn't be long before everyone in Hogwarts would know as well. It would make Ivory transfer school and that would ruin his plan.

That's right, Tom thought, I'm only doing this for the plan and nothing else.

After a while, Ivory seemed to calm down, her breathing regulating to a normal speed. Her red vision clearing,  turning back to normal. Tom's voice calmed her down, the warmth emulating from him only adding to it. Unlike before, his scent didn't make her salivate like it did before. Sure it still smelled good, but it was reassuring rather than appetizing.

Maybe the vow they made had something to do with that.

"I'm sorry," She started, voice hoarse and dry from breathing so harshly, "I didn't expect to come across the fresh smell of blood. Even more so that it was a human's."

"Does that mean a human's blood smell better than an animal's?" Tom asked, eyeing her closely, still unsure if she'd faint.

"Yes. Very much so. It's more potent. And basing from the freshness, the person had probably just been cut as we were talking." She answered, her state coming back to normal.