Best friends - Mason Mount

I tried so hard to fall asleep but it was all in vain. I did not even realise that in the past few days, I slept only a couple of hours per night, which was concerning because I worked all day and at night all I wanted to do was sleep but I was unable to. 

I got off my bed and walked towards my bedroom door. Maybe the air outside would bring me to sleep a little bit. I exited my apartment and got inside the elevator heading to the balcony on top of the building I lived in, hoping to gaze at the stars of the night sky.

Not long after, I was sitting on the floor, looking up into a velvety dark blue sky with twinkling stars here and there. I played a calm song on my phone and tried to form a shape with the alignment of the stars. I was not the biggest fan of astronomy, but I liked to wonder how the stars looked from really close.

I was lost in my thoughts when I heard Mason's voice behind me.

"Couldn't sleep?" he asked and I nodded in response.

"Me too," he admitted and sat next to me. Mason had been my best friend since I moved into the building when I was eight. You could say we knew everything about each other. 

"I thought you had training tomorrow?" I asked since remaining silent was never an option for me. 

"I do, actually," he replied. 

Then it hit me. 

What was I waiting for? 

It was quiet, nothing could be heard over the sound of us murmuring. At that moment, it was us. Just us. 

Feeling reluctant about admitting my feelings, I had no idea how to even get the words out. It seemed far easier when it was in my head, practising. 

"Mason, I uhh... I have something to tell you," I stated. 

He leaned his head on my shoulder, making a chill run down my spine. 

"Go on," he said. 

"I think I like you," I said, closing my eyes, expecting him to be shocked about it, fearing a rejection. Maybe I just ruined our friendship, maybe I just ended everything between us. I was so stupid, what was I even thinking?

"Oh, I knew that," he blatantly stated. 

I was too taken aback to answer. Judging by my lack of response, he elaborated. 

"You should blame your cheeks for getting red when you're near me. And, I like you back too. God, I waited for ages for you to tell me this."

He stood up and I followed. Suddenly, I felt his hands on my hips, and he was impossibly close now. He leaned in closer, his gaze fixed on my lips. Millions of butterflies were churning inside, and on top of that, his breath was gently fanning my neck. 

I closed my eyes, and a second after that, I felt his soft lips on mine. 

I had waited forever for this moment. 

***

A/N: I'm sorry, I know it's short. But please vote if you liked it.