They Don't Want Me Anymore - Mason Mount

A/N: I was heartbroken to see Mason join Manchester United. He'll be a blue angel forever and we know that. I was a bit inspired by this situation and decided to make an imagine based on it. 

***

I was on leave from my job for the last two weeks. I had been staying at home to make the most of it. I was cooking, baking, crocheting, sewing and doing embroidery. Overall, I was enjoying the most of that fortnight because I would be working six days a week as from then on for a period of three months.

Just a while ago, I finished cooking lasagna. I was crocheting a sweater for Mason. I was sitting criss-crossed on the sofa, my crochet hook in my hand. Just then, Mason arrived from training. He didn't have to know about the sweater because it was supposed to be a surprise. I quickly got up and hid the lump of yarn in the cupboard under the TV, then ran to open the door. 

Mason entered. I was hoping to see his usual smile but his expressions were blank, as if something was worrying him. "Hey, Y/N", he bluntly greeted me. 

"Hey...", I replied, concerned about his change in behaviour, "Are you okay, Mase?"

"I'm fine", he said while removing his shoes. "Are you sure?", I asked him, "You look...off."

"Like I said, I'm fine, my lady", he smiled, then pecked me on the lips and went to shower. I went inside the kitchen and served the lasagna with garlic bread, then properly kept my crochet project inside a fabric bin in my closet, away from his eyes. 

Mason finished showering, and was heading to the kitchen from the bathroom. I followed him there. I sat opposite to him and ate my meal with him. Mason's behaviour only made me worry about him more. For some reason, he was only nibbled at his food rather than have a hearty meal he always has when he returned from training. 

"Is there something wrong with the lasagna, Mason?", I asked softly.

He didn't reply. "Mason?", I said louder to grab his attention. He had zoned out. "Hm", he said hurriedly, breaking away from his trance.

"You should probably eat. Mason. Your food's probably getting colder now", I suggested.

***

After eating, Mason put his plate in the sink and went upstairs. Normally he would wait for me to finish the dishes then we would go upstairs together. He would probably hug me from behind, sit on the counter or just talk to me to plan what we were going to do after. It seemed to me that Mason didn't want to talk and probably wanted some privacy. 

Nevertheless, I went upstairs in our bedroom. He was leaning against the headboard, his phone in his hands. When I came closer to him, I realised that his eyes were watery, and he was using the sleeves of his shirt to wipe them away. 

I sat next to him on the bed, and he put his phone away. I held his hand. "Mason, you can speak to me", I said softly. 

I scooted closer to him on the bed. He slowly pulled his hand from my grip and fidgeted with his fingers. "Mason...", his behaviour was only making me more worried about him. After a few seconds, tears started rolling down his cheeks. He sniffled. 

"Breathe", I assured him while placing my hand on his chest. He nodded slightly. He leaned closer to me and hugged me while resting his chin on my shoulder. I hugged him back.

"They let me down", he whispered close to my ear. 

"Who let you down?", I wanted to know more about the situation. 

"Chelsea, Y/N. I don't think they want me there anymore", he said in between his sobs. I gently caressed his back. All this time during our relationship, Mason had rarely cried. Today, the tears which were flowing from his eyes should have been from a colossal pain inside of him. 

Somehow during that moment, I couldn't find the correct words to say to him to reassure him that everything would eventually fall into place. But I just ended up hugging him for two whole minutes without neither of us saying a word about that. 

Mason's hysteric breathing had finally come back to normal. He pulled away from me and leaned back against the headboard, staring at the ceiling. His tear-stained face broke my heart, I had never seen him so vulnerable before.

"I'm sure this is a misunderstanding, Mase", I tried to say slowly, "Don't stress yourself about it."

He nodded. "No, so many players are leaving this summer. It shouldn't be a misunderstanding", he replied then cupped his face with his own hands. At that moment, my eyes fell upon the screen on his phone. He was on Twitter, reading all the mean comments about himself. Some people were calling him a snake for leaving the club to earn higher salaries, some were disrespectfully tearing his jersey too.

"That's what they think about me", he whispered meekly. Tears started welling up in his eyes again. I hugged him from the front and cupped his face. "Baby, these people do not know you. Look at how much you mean to so many people in your life", I pecked him on the lips. He looked at me, utter devastation registered on his countenance. 

"Listen to me, love. Sometimes in life, you have to leave what you love the most for a new step in your life. Maybe this is one of the times. You can fight it, I know you. Who knows this might be just what you needed for a change?", I said and Mason looked up at me hopefully. "I know that you love Chelsea to bits. But we have to move on... see what life has in store for us."

"You think so?", he asked, his face seemed less tense, and it displayed hopefulness. 

"I'm positive. Trust me, whatever your new club will be, I will be there with you every step of the way. And not just me, everyone. Your parents, my parents, Jasmine, Lewis", I listed, "Summer", I said with a chuckle. I managed to get him to smile. 

"C'mon, let's watch something", I picked up the TV remote and started scrolling through Netflix while trying to distract him.

We ended watching several episodes of "Suits", ate leftovers of lasagna and binge-ate chocolate. It was nearly midnight.

I shuffled on the bed. "I think I'll sleep now", I said with a yawn. Mason turned off the TV too, and snuck next to me on the bed. 

We ended up facing each other on the bed. I caressed his cheek and stared deeply into his brown eyes. "You'll be my blue angel forever, Mase", I whispered softly. 

He looked up at me with teary-eyes, "I don't deserve you, Y/N", he said, then I hugged him to sleep.

***

A/N: Kinda sad imagine. Hope you liked it. Please vote and comment if you did :)