Chapter 39 | "Daddy gifted me this artwork before he left"

"Why are we here again?", my boyfriend asks me as we stand on the front porch of his house the next week. He has yet to go home and earlier this week he had told me that he wanted to go back to his house. With his father's case starting to open up, Jameson wanted to get to see his family on last time before everything went up in smokes.

He wanted to talk to his little sister— to warn her of everything that will happen. The police have already started to ask victims to come up and give statements. They have taken the case files from One's Ignored and have started to go through them as well. They have talked to so many girls and every day more came up. Kennedy and I have yet to be called up and I'm so scared when it is my turn.

I want him to serve for his time in prison but the aspect of talking about my rape is so much. It takes a toll on you.

I squeeze my boyfriend's hand in mine and say,"You told me you were ready. But if you aren't, we can drive off right now."

Jameson blows out a breath and shakes his body out. "It's okay, I got this", he says and I nod. My boyfriend was strong, despite everything that happened with his dad and everything he knows, he has yet to talk bad about him to his little sister. I think that is what scared him the most: breaking his sister's heart.

His sister, Maeve, was the center of his father's love and for him to go in there and share what of a monster his father is was a lot. He didn't want to do it, but he had to. He had to be there for his sister before she found out from someone else.

"Okay, go ahead and knock", I say to him and he turns his head to me. There is a slight frown on his face,"You are not leaving me are you, flower?"

"I thought I would wait in the car", I say to him.

"Please, stay", Jameson asks and his eyes are so soft as he does so. My boyfriend doesn't ask too much of me but he was asking for this. But I couldn't go in there.

"Your mom doesn't like me", I say to him.

"My mom doesn't like me?", Jameson answers and I fight the urge to not smile. Even though he was scared out of his mind he was out here saying a things with the tone of so what's your point? I shake my head and say,"I don't want to make this harder for you."

Jameson picks our interlocked hands up and places it onto his chest. I feel his heartbeat racing, but later it starts to calm down. "Anything but that, Ivory. You would be making it easier on me and if my mother was mad at you being there, then well."

"You are lucky I love you", I say to him and he smiles, knowing he won this short fight. I'm only going in there because he wasn't going to let me go. I'd be glued to his side the whole time. Jameson leans in and presses a kiss to my forehead softly and then whispers,"You know how to drive?"

"Yeah."

"Good. I'm going to need you to drive afterward", he says and then pulls away from me. I nod and watch as he does a few breathing techniques before knocking on the door with shaky hands. The door opens us as soon as Jameson knocks three times.

"Jamie", a girl wearing a white romper breathes out right before throwing her arms over his shoulders. I watch as Jameson puts his arms around her torso and holds her to him. I look away in order to not cry at the scene. In not sure how they didn't talk for two weeks; they loved each other too much for that.

"You're so stupid", Maeve says when she pulls away but still keeps a hand on his arm. She shakes her head and hugs him again,"So stupid but you came home, you came back. You came back for me."

There goes the water works.

I wipe at my eyes and Jameson closes his eyes as to not feel the tears brimming at his own eyes. "Maeve", he says to her and she steps back from the hug. "I need to talk to you."