Chapter 32 | "Can I not say that it's to see a pretty girl?"

I'm carrying the textbooks that the girls– Kennedy and Tina— asked me to bring to our next class as my last hour class was closer to the lockers than theirs. There are three textbooks on my arm and a laptop. It didn't help that I had taken off my hoodie and was now keeping it on top of my shoulders. I readjust the books in my arm only to feel the hoodie slipping off of my shoulders. I let out a small yelp and reach down in an attempt to grab it.

Pale lean hands grab the soft pink hoodie for me and I straighten up, perching the textbooks closer to my hip. "Jamie", I address the person who had saved my sweater from reaching the disgusting school floors– no amount of washing would get it to be fully clean. My boyfriend— or so I'm calling him in my head— smiles down at me and reaches for a couple of books in my arm. I let him take it from me and he handed me my hoodie before grabbing my laptop as well. He places them under his arm and says, "Where are we going?"

It was funny how just last night he was at my house, watching a movie and having dinner with my Dad and I. It was also funny how the both of us have yet to talk about the kiss afterwards. The kisses—plural— just took place a few minutes before he had to leave. I had thought about the kisses a lot since I woke up, a smile on my face. The delicacy of the first time our lips touched each others, the way he exhaled through his nose. The honesty of him sharing his thoughts with me afterward. Then when he had fully kissed me, so gently and precise. Jameson was a good kisser and he left my lips tingling with sensation for a while after.

"Government", I answer by gesturing to the textbook in my hand. I look at him sideways and take note of the way his hair was pressed in the back. Before I could think much of anything about it, I place my hand in the back of his neck. "Ew", I say pulling away when I feel that it is a tiny bit wet. Jameson looks at me take aback and nudges his shoulder with my arms, "It's water, I had wiped my head after P.E last hour."

I give him a cheeky smile, "If you say so."

"She already starts to doubt my honesty", Jameson mutters and I laugh, pushing him with my shoulder. He doesn't move much but he still looks surprised at the motion, a dramatic hand on his chest.

"So what brings you here?", I ask when he is done with his theatrical acts.

"Can I not say that it's to see a pretty girl?", he asks, sending me a grin. I blush at the compliment he inwardly called me. "Who?", I ask making a show of looking to the right and then to the left, in search of the pretty girl he came here to look at. Jameson laughs— the sound of it is still so unfamiliar to me, but the sound is so nice, a sound that causes me to want to hear it forever– and places his hand on top of my head, pushing it down. I laugh as he starts to pull me toward him and places his hand across my shoulder. It was easy— somehow— for us to act affectionate with each other.

Jameson holds me close and whispers, "Did you sleep well?"

Was that what we did now? Ask each other such mundane questions, just to talk to each other? I liked it. I smile, nodding. "No nightmares last night?", he says as I freeze in my spot. He stops alongside me and looks down at me, his eyes softening. "Will you ever tell me about it?"

Maybe someday

I don't answer and he takes notice of it, looking away. "That's okay", he whispers and then starts to walk, me following after him. Once we are in front of my classroom, he takes his arm away from my shoulder and says, "I came to ask you something."

I let out a sound of happiness and say, "I knew you came for something!"

Jameson smiles at my reaction and then nods. After he nods, his smile falters and he is serious now. "I'm not trying to rush her, but can you ask your friend when the picture will be done?"