Chapter 18 | "It will all be okay"

The game ends at around ten o'clock and Jameson finds me straight after. He walks down with Maeve and Jacob and stands in front of me, his hands in his pocket. I smile at him and say,"Give me a few minutes to grab my things." Jameson nods and turns to Maeve and Jacob. I turn around to leave but not before hearing Jameson make his friend promise to make sure his sister gets home safely.

I head into the locker room with a smile on my face. Jameson was always sweet but with his sister he was the most generous. I walk to the bathroom and change into a pair of comfy clothes. I'm wearing a tank top and some linen flowly shorts. I put on a hoodie as well and head to my locker. From my locker, I get out the stuff I grabbed this morning.

I have a overnight duffel bag filled to the brim, my tent, sleeping bag, and another bag filled with my toiletries. I place whatever I can on my shoulder and hold the rest of my stuff as I walk out of the lockeroom. The stuff I'm carrying is so heavy that as soon as Jameson spots me and comes to grab for a few of my items, I don't stop him. I was tired from all of the movement I've been doing the whole day. I have been at the school ever since five minutes before seven and today was a very long day.

With my backpack on my back and the bag of toiletries in my arms I start following Jameson to his car. His car sits in the front of the school and I am thankful for the fact that I wouldn't have to walk so far. Once we get to the car, Jameson opens the trunk and slides my stuff inside. I place my bag of toiliterries inside as well and take my backpack with me.

"You can sit in the passenger side seat", he says to me as we both walk ahead to the car seats. He opens the door for me and I get in with a soft thanks. Once I am seated, I take off my shoe and place the seatbelt over me. I bring my feet up to the seat and hug it to my chest. Once I am sitting comfortably I turn to Jameson as he joins me as well.

"Ally and Jessica will be joining us as well", he says to me and the both of us sit in comfortable silence for a while. I hear giggling from behind the car and turn around to look out the window. I find Ally and Jessica pushing each other as they laugh and smile a little. I liked watching people be themselves around their best friends.

The back door opens and Ally instantly smiles at Jameson. "Hi, Cooper", she greets the guy driving us and he nods at her. Jessica walks in as well and she doesn't say anything to Jameson. I catch Ally's eyes in the back at that and she gives me a soft shrug. But I am snoopy and I want to know what happened so I ask "Can we address the elephants in the car?"

Jessica face palms herself and Ally giggles, before looking at me. "Jessica dated Cooper last year." Oh, I think as I look back at Jameson. He doesn't say anything to that and Ally supplies an explanation. "Only for a month—"

"A week barely", Jessica interrupts and Ally nods at that. When I glance at Jameson I find that his jaw is clenched and he looks a little disagreeable with the comment. They has definelty dated longer and I had a feeling Jameson wasn't the one to break up with her. That's a lot for me to take in, so I stop looking at them and instead ahead at the dark road.

"How long is the drive?", Ally asks from the back and Jameson shrugs, pulling up his GPS. He puts in the address and then looks at the estimated time of arrival on the device. "Three hours", I read off the device even though I had remembered from last time I went. For three hours, I had sat at the back of the car with my hands fisted in my lap and tears streaming down my face. The girls were laughing and singing to each other in the front so they didn't hear my sniffles and I glad for that. I wasn't able to talk to anyone after it happnend for a week straight.

People asked me questions when I stopped talking at first but later they didn't care enough to continue asking me. I picked up my courage and started talking later and nobody questioned it. Everybody believed that I was just tired and burnt out from life. It's funny how that excuse works for everyone in life. You get quiet, people assume you are tired and leave you alone. Only they don't ask what you are tired from. They don't ask what happened to make you want to go silent.