Chapter 38 | "I love you"

Jameson had come over to my house after the whole deal with his father. It was hard on him to see the person he was stuck calling his father forever. His hand was in mine but Jameson had spent the entirety of the car ride in the backseat with me, with his head turned to the window. He couldn't be bothered to speak and I got it. Jameson had seen the person he was related to in jail talking about girls like they didn't matter one bit. Talking about them in a way that was so horrific that it was a wonder someone hadn't punched his head in already.

His dad was responsible for so many crimes across our town and one of them was someone close to him. Me. Jameson's father was responsible for my raping— that wasn't something either of us were good with. I mean, how good could you be in this situation?

My dad had left us alone in the house as he went over to his girlfriend's house with the exception of making Jameson and I promise to be safe. He threw a wink in there at the end which the both of us had audibly gagged at and then my father left. Jameson and I were now laying on the couch, his shoulder under my head, so me laying on top of Jameson while he had a hand on my waist.

I place my hand on the side of the couch and turn to look at him. He smiles at me— a smile that is no way near as happy as the ones he used to offer me— and places his hand on the back of my neck. "You okay?", he whispers and I nod hearing the faint noise of the television from behind us. I wasn't sure what we were watching but it was something we put on instead of wanting to be laying down in silence.

"Yeah", I answer and I know that asking him the question he had asked me was going to be a waste of time. Jameson wasn't okay, he was still thinking of his father even with the lazy arm across my torso. His mind was filled with thoughts of how horrible their recent encounter went. He needed a change of conversation and I needed to talk to him about something.

The girl I love, he had said to his father when talking about me. That wasn't something that went over my head. I would remember it for a very long time, there was a lot of genuity in the way he had said that. It made me want to know if he is serious about it. 

"Jamie", I whisper to him when he turns back to watch the television. His mind was whirring and watching something could help him tune his brain out. He turns to me when I call out his name though and I smile at him. "In the room, you said something about me."

"Oh", Jameson says suddenly turning a little red at the apples of his cheeks. He knew what I was talking about so I didn't need to spell it out for him. "Was it true?"

Tell me it was because I think for me it was as well. I think that I have fallen in love with you in the short period of time we have known each other. 

Jameson sits up in his spot, taking me with him. He drops me off gently by him and straightens his back, only letting out a small breath. He had lied to his father in the room just to see his reaction. He wanted his father to know that there wasn't going to be another time he could hurt him. And that was shameful to his father really, because he enjoyed leaving a mark on Jameson. There was a lot of sense of pride at hitting your son apparently. I saw his face when his son mentioned that they were better, he was thinking I should get my hands on you soon then. It was sick, but that fact was already established. 

"Did you mean it?", I ask him. 

Jameson's eyes widen and he says, "Well, I know that I liked you a lot. But was it too early to say that phrase? Is there a time frame for these kinds of things? We have only been dating—  wait I never even got to take a out on a date. We've known each other for only close to three months, was that too early? I had only gotten to kiss you almost two weeks ago. Was this too early? Am I— "

"I love you", I blurt out honestly, not being able to keep the grin off of my face. Jameson had rambled through the entire monologue, his hands flaying at his sides. His cheeks were growing more and more red and there was red coming out from under his shirt as well. I thought I would save him from explaining something we both knew was true.