Chapter 33 | It wasn't supposed to be like this.

The voice.

The fucking voice.

The reason I couldn't keep in my emotions in One's Ignored when Jameson was reading out the case file.

His voice had itched my brain at the time, the words sounding way too similar to the guy who had originally said it.

The voice was so similar because the voice belonged to his father.

"Oh God", I whisper with a hand on my mouth, my stomach starting to want to make me dump out the contents of dinner from a few hours earlier. Jameson was still talking and every single time he said a new sentence, I was back there.

I was back to the place where his father had been speaking. I could hear him in my mind— hear his father. Their voices were smilar but right now they were the same. Jameson talking caused for my breathing to get faster, more controllable.

Oh God, I was back there. I was back there only now I knew who it was. Kennedy hadn't shown me the sketch but I had gotten a glimpse of it when she started to fold it up.

"I remember not feeling anything when my dad got into the police car."

I place a hand on my chest and tell myself to calm down. It was okay, I was okay. The guy was caught, the guy was...

Oh my God, it seemed like the guy was here. Here speaking in front of me.

"I felt a pang of disgust go through me, so sharp I almost threw up."

I'm shaking my head, telling him to stop talking. The guy was his father and I couldn't do this. I couldn't do it. My brain was blocking out anything that was being said, I was trying my hardest to not let the voice get to me.

The name.

The fucking name.

Coop.

Cooper.

Holy shit, I hadn't noticed it before. The name, the one I had screamed out while being raped. The name that I thought would help me. Only it made him tell the guy to push into me harder and I had fell for it. Fell for his tricks. I had shouted his name out, breathless. The effect of having a guy inside of me strong. I was close to orgasm, I was close. And in that time I was shouting out his name.

The name of my boyfriend's father.

"Maeve had came downstairs and she had collapsed in front of the door upon seeing my father."

I couldn't breathe. It was harder to breathe. When did it get so hot in here? When did the air the open door bring in disappear?

"Maeve had always adored my father, it checked out. He had loved her as well."

I place a hand on my mouth to surpass the sobs. I needed to stop them. I was wailing at this point. The tears were rolling down my face faster than I could think.

"Maeve doesn't know about how bad of a father our dad is to me; she doesn't know about my scars."

I turn away from Jameson, the guy I couldn't even see through my tears anymore, and walk. I'm not sure where I am walking, but I walk. I move away.

"And when I saw her breakdown, I broke down as well."

I need him to stop talking. I need him to stop taking me back to that place. Because when he speaks, I hear his father in my mind. They had the same voice and that voice was sending me in a fucking spiral.

"I wasn't crying because he was arrested. I was crying because of the horrible human being he was."

I needed to silence the voice in my head. I needed to get off the fucking mattress I was forced upon. I needed to stop feeling it. The hurt— so raw it was making my stomach churn.