Chapter 9 | "Ivory, you are fine"

Jameson doesn't appreciate my sarcasm and says,"Ivory, want to read the part of the victim?"

"I'm guessing you want me to say yes?", I question back at him.

"Thanks for saying yes", he says dryly and I try not to laugh at that. His attempt at being unfunny was kind of funny to me. Jameson cuts his glance to me and I look away for a second. His hand is placed on the paper on my lap and very nicely, he points to the part where I am supposed to start. I give him a dry thanks and look down at the paper in front of me.

Call made: September 13
Duration: Ten minutes

"We will start with the first one", Jameson says and so we move to the other stack of papers that are barely being held together by a stapler. He finds the page for me once again and points to the top line. I nod and he starts reading the part of the operator.

"What can I do for you?"

I look down at the paper to find that there are a lot of blank parts for when the victim speaks to the person. She was definetly nervous. "Hi, um I'm calling today to talk about something I experienced this weekend."

"Okay", comes Jameson's flat answer but this time he was reading off of the paper so that was his excuse.

I take a deep breath in, as I imagine how that person must have done and say,"A few friends and I went to a camp ground for the holiday." This was dated right after Labor Day weekend. Jameson nods and I continue,"We were all going to a party at a nearby lake."

"How many of you guys were there?", Jameson asks, once again reading the part of the operator.

"Seven of us in total. Four of my girlfriends and three other guys", I read off the paper, my heart beat starting to pick up.

"Okay, continue."

"Right", I read off the paper and then take another breath in. "I was approached at the party by a guy, one of whom wasn't with us. And he asked for me to check out a cabin nearby."

"That's vague, tell me, did you agree about anything else?"

"Yes", I squeak and then fall silent for a moment. Once I think that is an appropriate amount of pause time, I continue but I can't hear my thoughts anymore. "We were flirting. I had just broken up with my boyfriend at that time and so I was looking for a guy."

"And you chose him?"

"Yes. We talked for about fifteen minutes before he lead me away from the party and toward the woods."

"You went willingly, ma'am?"

"Yes, I did. I wanted to sleep with him-"

I hear a few dramatic gasps from around the room but I continue. "He was nice and I was interested. But by the time we get to the cabin, I'm not interested anymore."

"Why not?", Jameson asks with an eyebrow raised and I slouch in my chair. I feel his leg in between mine again and so I push myself up.

"We walked for around thirty minutes in silence. All that he did was have his hand in mine and once we approached the cabin, his hand was holding me tight."

"So you won't go anywhere."

"Yes, he held onto me and I tugged a few times. But my attempts didn't work because he had shoved me into the property already."

"And then what happened?"

I take a deep breath in and then say,"He raped me."

"He raped you?", the question is asked by the operator not a second later.