𝗫𝗜𝗫

𝘕𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

𝗛𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗸𝗶

The next day, I was back in my classroom with Killian's medical files sorted out in front of me. My eyes skimmed over the sheet constantly.

Congenital Insensitivity To Pain and Anhidrosis

I typed it into my MacBook and multiple websites popped up. I clicked on the first website to appear.

Congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis (CIPA) also known as hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathy type IV, is an inherited disease where there is an inability to feel pain and temperature and decreased or absent sweating(anhidrosis)

That explains why Killian's body heat is skyrocketing majority of the time. His inability to feel pain would be considered impressive if there weren't consequences.

CIPA is extremely dangerous, and in most cases, the patient doesn't live over the age of 25

I placed my hand over my mouth. Killian is seventeen and I know taking research literal in this sense is kind of bizarre but his condition is rare. Does Keenan have it too?!

The need to know if Killian can still feel touch or any type of sensation plagued me. I nibbled on my lip while typing into the search bar: Can people with the inability to feel pain feel other sensations?

For people with this disorder, cognition, and sensation are otherwise normal; for instance, patients can still feel discriminative touch (though not always temperature), and there are generally no detectable physical abnormalities

Releasing a soft breath, I typed: Is there a cure?

There is no cure for CIPA and the treatment is mostly about staying safe. It's important to avoid injuries and monitor any wounds for infection. Support groups can be helpful for social support and tips for living with CIPA

All of this made perfect sense. Thinking back to how he flicked his tongue against the flame lit from the bick, he told me he had become numb to it.

He purposely hurt himself but he couldn't feel pain so what was the purpose of it? Was it the mental drive of knowing he couldn't feel it?

"Killian is a.. complex student," I mumbled to myself, sitting back in my chair.

"Indeed he is," a soft disembodied voice caught my attention. I glanced around my classroom to see who said that but found no one.