Reconnection

Song: Sorry by Halsey

"You know, when I agreed to help you pack your shit, I didn't realize just how many books you had. I hope you realize that I will not be moving those boxes anywhere, thank you very much," Penny grumbled as she viciously tore off another piece of packing tape.

I shook my head and laughed. "Yeah, yeah. Don't worry, the movers will do that."

"They'd better," she muttered under her breath.

I playfully rolled my eyes and continued packing up my kitchenware. My little studio apartment was emptying out quickly. I didn't really have that much stuff to begin with but it still felt momentous to me.

I paused and looked around the space as I thought about the last year and a half of my life there. My apartment had seen me through a brand new beginning, a failed soulmate bond, a broken heart, a journey of healing and finally, yet another new beginning. With all of the changes I had gone through, my home had been the one constant in my life and I'd miss it a lot.

But as sentimental as I was about my apartment, I was that much more excited for my new chapter with Yoongi. After our hotel stay, we found ourselves going back and forth from one another's apartments for weeks until we finally decided to move back in together. Yoongi had initially been apprehensive about me staying at his apartment since the last time I was there was catastrophic for our bond.

But I found that I didn't really remember many details about it. I recalled the core incident itself, but none of the identifying markers in his home. It was as if it all happened in a vacuum of time and space. Something which I was more than grateful for.

Once Penny and I had packed the last few boxes, she tossed down the tape gun and reached into her back pocket for her phone. She began scowling and typing viciously before sighing and tossing it on top of the counter.

"What's up?" I asked casually.

She was quiet for a moment before she finally met my gaze.

"So, Tae is outside right now. I want you two to finally make up and move forward."

My eyes dropped to the floor in shock and I rubbed my sweaty hands along my shorts. "Oh, uh, I would like that too...but..."

I swallowed dryly and slowly raised my eyes to hers. "There's something you need to know first."

Her expression didn't waver as she cocked one slim eyebrow at me, her silver piercing shining under the light. A giant pit formed in my stomach as I tried to find the words to tell her about mine and Tae's misdeeds. I finally felt like I was in a good place in my life and I was terrified of losing Penny as a consequence of past Sabrina's stupid actions.

I had been struggling with what Tae and I had done that night. Feeling the guilt pulling me down as each day passed. It was getting harder and harder to look her in the eye knowing that I pretty much fucked her soulmate. But there was nothing for it now. I couldn't keep hiding from my mistakes, especially since Penny was now pushing for us to reconcile. I had to just rip the bandaid off.

"A few days after I was released from the hospital Tae came over to see me. We were both pretty upset. Tae was still reeling from finding out you were his soulmate and I was struggling with the weight of my shattered bond. And uh, one thing led to another and...and..." my throat started to clog up and I found that I couldn't finish my sentence. I struggled to start over but Penny interrupted me.

"Stop. I already know," she stated evenly.

"Wh-what?" I choked out, confused.

"If you're trying and failing to tell me that you and Tae almost fucked after he finger blasted you to hell and back, then yeah, I already know."