Endure

Song for this chapter: Lovely by Billie Eilish & Khalid

"Yoongi...why don't you want me?" I cried softly, desperately, searching his eyes for something, anything.

His nostrils flared and his brows pinched together slightly as he looked back at me, before sighing and leaning back in his chair, running a hand through his shaggy hair.

"This isn't about you. I know it might not seem like it, but this isn't personal," he said.

My eyes almost bulged out of their sockets.

"Not personal?!" I all but screeched.

His mouth flattened out and he crossed his arms as he spoke to me.

"No. Not personal. This isn't as simple as two people meeting their soulmates, it's bigger than you and I. It's...complicated. We are both better off separately," he explained to me as if I were a child.

It was the most I had ever heard him speak, and yet he still said nothing. My tears dried up real fast as anger suffused through my body.

"How? Were you not paying attention? We need each other to fucking live!" I hissed, my hands curling into fists.

He narrowed his eyes at me, their dark depths glinting dangerously.

"Yeah. I heard him. We just need to endure this for a little bit," he ground out.

"And then?"

"And then we can each live our lives, free."

Free.

That one little word felt like a dagger in my heart. So, having a soulmate was like a prison to him? How was I not supposed to take that personally?

I sat back in my chair and looked away from him. I needed to end this conversation before things got worse. I didn't think we were going to get anywhere right now anyway. We were both exhausted and on edge.

As I stared at the sagging bookshelf on the other side of the room, I heard Yoongi shift in his chair before he cleared his throat.

"Look--" he started to speak but he was cut off by the door swinging open. The doctor stepped back into the room, followed by Tae and Namjoon.

My eyes immediately locked onto Tae's. He looked relieved to see me as he pushed his way over to the table and took the seat right next to me. I, too, felt a sense of relief at having him back by my side.

This entire day had been so confusing, and I was hurting. Tae was my only constant in this, and his presence soothed me. Not for the first time that day, I wondered why Tae wasn't my soulmate instead.

I looked back over at Yoongi, but he was speaking quietly with Namjoon, ignoring us. Dr. Lee approached the table and handed Yoongi and I each a folder.

"Here is your discharge paperwork, as well as all of the relevant information about life mates. We have also scheduled some soul therapy sessions for you and Mr. Min. You will find all the details of those appointments in the folder. We have also included a copy of our report to the International Soulmate Union," he told us matter-of-factly.

I nodded slowly, clutching the folder. I glanced up through my lashes and saw Yoongi nod curtly at the doctor, before sliding his chair back from the table.

"So, are we free to go then?" he asked bluntly.

"Yes, we are done here. However, I believe Mr. Kim, ah, that is Mr. Kim Namjoon, asked one of your managers and lawyer to come here in order to settle some important details about both of your daily lives," he stated before shuffling towards the door. "Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have questions or if anything urgent should arise. And please, do think about what I told you."