Principles

Song for this chapter: Paralyzed by NF

Yoongi had never believed in soulmates.

Not in a "they don't exist" type of way, but rather in a "they are ridiculous" type of way. He was naturally suspicious of their supposed power of love, and he was firmly against the idea that there was a soulmate for every single person on the planet. It sounded like complete bullshit to him. People weren't meant to settle down with one person forever. The idea of that was too fantastical. Human nature was too fluid for that to be true. People were meant to choose their own destiny.

He didn't begrudge those who wanted or had soulmates, he just didn't care. He wasn't worried about his own soulmate, because he was sure he would never meet them, if he even had one. As an idol, he was extremely well connected to the world at large but personally isolated from its people.

It was supremely difficult to meet someone and even harder to form a genuine connection. Everyone wanted something from him, and it sure as hell wasn't love. Sure, he'd had a few relationships here and there over the years, but even calling them relationships was a stretch. They were more like casual understandings with no real feelings involved. He simply didn't have time for attachments. All of his attention went right back into the group and his own music, and that was exactly how he preferred it.

As BTS progressed in their career and eventually hit the point of stability, a few of the members began to date. Jin was the first to start seriously seeing someone. He had been in a flirtation with his personal stylist for years until she finally confronted him and forced him to either commit to her or let her move on. It must've been a wake-up call for Jin, because he and Rey had been together for around ten months.

Yoongi was happy for Jin, he really was. Just like how he was happy for JK when he started seeing Ness. So, he couldn't understand why he felt unsettled as soon as Taehyung came around talking about a girl he had met. Every time he brought up how beautiful, smart, or talented she was, Yoongi felt an anxious buzz wash over his skin and settle into his stomach.

And not only that, but lately Yoongi was feeling like he was missing something. He would catch himself staring off into space, daydreaming about something he couldn't remember. It was almost like déjà vu, and it distracted him from his work, which was a problem.

When Taehyung showed up to the studio one day, asking if he was free to go to dinner and meet his girl, Yoongi heard himself agreeing before he could stop himself. He already had plans for that Friday, but for some reason, he felt like he was compelled to go. Luckily, Joon and JK had also agreed to attend as well so he would be able to sit quietly in the background. He just hoped that the girl wasn't a crazy fanatic who was going fawn all over them.

Friday came too quickly for him. Yoongi had been feeling on edge all day, but he was unsure why. He had just finalized a tricky beat for Hoseok so he should have been in a much better mood.

Once they had arrived at the restaurant, Yoongi began to feel the strange anxious buzz again. After they were seated, he tried to push it down by closing his eyes and breathing deeply, when the door opened, and Taehyung walked in leading a girl by her hand.

His eyes snapped open and immediately zeroed in on her. The first thing he noticed was that she wasn't Korean, which was disappointing. He didn't know why though, some of the other members had foreign girlfriends and he didn't give a fuck.

She had long wheat-colored curls, and a pale, but healthy complexion. She looked to be on the taller side, but he noticed she was wearing booted heels so that might have given her some extra height. His eyes traveled down her curves, admiring her shape. If he was disappointed that she was not Korean, he was at least satisfied that she wasn't one of those rail thin, plastic looking, overly tanned "California girls." Not that there was anything wrong with that, but it just wasn't his personal taste.