New Friend

I screeched and bolted up right, scrabbling back against the mirror. 

"Tae! What the fuck!" I screamed. 

Tae had crouched down and was laughing so hard that he stopped making noise. I could see his shoulders shaking with silent laughter. I sat back against the mirror and watched him while I tried to calm my racing heart. After a few moments, he stood up and sauntered over to me.

Standing over me, he looked down at me with a wide boxy smile. "I didn't mean to scare you, but I came in while you were mid dance, and I didn't want to interrupt you. I thought you would hear me walk over to you, but you were in your own world. Damn, your reaction was hilarious though. I can't get your expression out of my head." He mocked my scared face and began laughing all over again.

"Omg, you almost killed me! I swear my heart stopped when I opened my eyes and saw you hovering above me, like a specter in the night!" I cried. 

He only laughed at me again. Dang, he looked really good tonight. He was wearing black track pants with a red stripe and a plain white T-shirt paired with white sneakers. He had on a chain necklace that hung just below his neckline. His brown hair was as fluffy as ever and it fell over his forehead and into his eyes as he looked at me. 

"I really didn't mean to scare you. I was actually looking for you. I wanted to ask you for a favor," he said as he sat down next to me on the floor. 

My heart stopped. Wait. Was this about that form? Was he mad? "Ah, sorry, I know I still have to sign the NDA, I just haven't seen you since last week so I didn't know where to go or what I should say. I'm sorry if it seems like I am blowing it off, I promise you that--" I was suddenly cut off when he began laughing again. 

"Sabrina. Stop. I'm not upset about the NDA. We will find time to get that done, I swear I'm not worried about that. I just wanted to see if you would dance with me. I'm stuck on a certain part of the choreo of our upcoming single and I think I need a distraction."

I gaped at him for a moment. "You want me to dance with you? But why? I don't know if I can learn your choreo and I can promise you that I won't be as good as you guys." 

He scoffed, leaning his head back against the mirror. "I literally just saw you dancing in here. I think you're going to be just fine. Plus, I don't want to do the choreo for our song, I want to dance for fun, maybe just to clear the pipes and get rid of my block." 

I looked away from him and gnawed my lip. Tae asked me to dance with him. Was this okay? Would I get in trouble for this? I didn't want to lose out on the chance to spend more time with him. Something in my body was screaming at me to not let him leave my side. But I didn't want to come across as desperate either. Should I beg off politely and hope that he doesn't get mad and leave? Should I say yes and risk getting too close to him when I've had these strange feelings lately? 

I could feel his gaze on the side of my face as I thought about it. He was watching me closely, as if he could see all the thoughts whizzing around my head but he didn't say anything or try to rush me. 

Finally, I turned to him and softly said, "Sure, I'd be happy to dance with you Tae, but just so you know, I took a break from dancing for a while, so my stamina is not going to match yours. Take it easy on me, okay?" 

He grinned at me, and his dark eyes sparkled. He leapt up and leaned down and grasped my arm, pulling me up with him. "Don't worry Sabrina. This is going to be fun! Do you salsa at all?" 

I nodded at him, his enthusiasm rubbing off on me. "I have before, yes! Again, it's been a bit, so I might be kinda rusty." 

He rushed to plug his phone into the sound system and started an upbeat salsa playlist before he returned to my side and pulled me to the middle of the floor.