i feel sick

paulina's pov

after dinner, me and oak went back to my home here in manchester. he parked his car outside and opened the door for me. everything felt so good and so normal. 

upon entering inside. no one was here. "your parents still not home?" oak placed his keys on the counter. i shrugged. "guess not" i replied. "well we did take a while there in the car..." oak laughed.

"10 minutes is a while?" i joked. "wow"

"i'm kidding" i giggled. "nah i'm hurt" oak placed a hand over his heart. 

we went into my room and i changed out of my dress into some comfy clothes. oak stayed in his joggers and sweater. 

"your room is cute" oak said scanning it in its entirety. "i haven't done redecorating in years... i haven't been here since i was like 18" i said. 

"oh right, you've told me" oak muttered. we both got on my small, twin sized bed and cuddled. hey if he wanted to, he would.

"your birthday's comin' up, innit?" oak asked. omg, he remembered. i nodded. "yeah, why?" i replied. "do you want to have a party or somethin'?" he asked. 

i paused to think about it. i mean, i'm not the party type. he knows that. but it'd be fun to have my friends all together for my birthday. 

"hmm, maybe not a big one" i said. 

"okay, got it" 

'got it' what did he mean by that? whatever. i shrugged it off. in 2 weeks i'd be turning 21. oak is 4 years older than me. i never really paid attention to our age gap though. from day 1 our energies just kind of matched in a way that made me forget he had seniority over me.

"to be honest, i'd wa--" i began to speak, but i started feeling a weird feeling in my tummy and my mouth began to water. 

i was going to throw up. 

i held my mouth and ran to the bathroom. i heard oak run behind me, "pau? you okay?" he asked, as if i could answer with my guts being poured out of me. oak came into the bathroom with me and held my hair back.

"i'm fi--" more came out. this is so embarrassing, bruh. there goes my dinner. 

i stopped after about 10 minutes of me puking up everything i had just eaten that day. what was wrong with me? maybe i got plane sick from earlier... if that's even a thing.

"you okay now my love?" oak asked me, softly massaging my back. "yeah i think so..." i replied. "was it something you ate?" he asked me. i could tell he began to get nervous. 

"probably."

i brushed my teeth and fixed myself up. i crawled back in bed with oakley and held him closer to me. i felt myself fall asleep. 

i don't know how much long later, but my body jumped and i woke myself up. i looked beside me- oak was gone. i looked to the other side and saw my mom sitting on the edge of the bed. 

"let me feel your forehead" my mom said softly. she placed a hand on my forehead, "hmm" she furrowed her eyebrows. "you're burning up..." my mom pouted.

i rubbed my eye, sleepily. "where's oakley?" i asked. "he's in the kitchen making you some soup. do you want me to call him over here?" mom asked. "no it's okay mom" i said, removing my comforter to leave the bed.

as soon as i stood up, i saw stars. i managed to walk to the kitchen. my eyes were greeted with the sight of oakley pouring some soup into a bowl, kitchen towel over his shoulder, messy curls in his face. 

lord jesus. he is so fine.

"pau, you're supposed to be resting" oak leaned over the kitchen counter. "how long was i asleep?" i asked. "maybe like 2 hours" he answered. 

i looked through the window. it was dark out already. hmm. 

"i really don't know why i started feeling so sick out of nowhere" i placed a hand over my tummy. "do you want me to take you to the hospital?" oak asked, placing the pot on the stove. 

since it was so sudden, i was concerned so yes i wanted to go get checked. but i didn't want to spend my first day back in manchester in the emergency room. "no, it's fine" i said. 

"you're running a fever, paulina. take her to the hospital" my mom said in her 'demanding' voice. i looked at oak and sighed. 

"eat a little, then i'll take you" oak told me with a smile. he pushed a bowl in front of me and placed a spoon beside it. i sat down at the kitchen island and began eating. 

after i ate a bit we were then on our way to the hospital. once we entered the emergency room, oak went to get us some seats. immediately, the receptionist nurse asked me my name and some questions. 

"are you running a fever?" she asked, typing in my information in a computer. "yes" i answered. "any nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain?" she asked. "yes"

"are you pregnant?" 

"no."

"okay ms. sanchez, you'll be seen shortly" the receptionist nurse told me. before i could walk away, she said one more thing. "oh, and take this"

i turned around. she handed me a little cup in a blue baggy. "is this--" 

"you're going to urinate inside and give it back to us. just to rule out any possibilities of you possibly being pregnant" she told me. i offered a polite smile and walked to sit with oak.

"what in the hell is that?" oak asked, letting out a laugh. "i'm supposed to piss in it" i said looking at the cup. "for what?" he asked. "to see if i'm pregnant or not."

his eyes widened. "don't worry, i'm not" i laughed.

i left to go do what the nurse told me and handed the cup back to them, sealed and clean. i don't think there's any possibility of me being pregnant. i haven't seen oak in about 6 weeks. and i haven't got my period this month yet.

"paulina sanchez?" i heard a voice call out in the waiting room. i stood up and followed the nurse to a private room.

"i'm going to have you take a covid test quickly. this test will also be for other virus related illness'" the nurse told me. she took a cotton swab and swabbed my mouth. she repeated a few times.

 "we're going to run these tests. the doctor will be here in just a bit" the nurse smiled before leaving. i looked down. i can't be pregnant. it's not possible. it has to be like covid or something.

after what felt like forever, the doctor finally entered the room.

"hello ms. sanchez, i'm hearing you had been running a fever today with some nausea?" a man in a white coat walked in the room. "hi, and yes" i said plainly. "well, i do have some news for you that may explain those symptoms, ms. sanchez" the doctor added. 

fuck no.