chapter sixty three

(- if you don't remember what happened in the "real world", read chapter 59 again, please-)

"Leave the past where it belongs."

Chapter 63

*flashback ends*

"Does it still hurt?" Chishiya asked as he drove his black car towards his home.

His question was, of course, aimed at Aina, who was sitting next to him in the passenger seat. He couldn't believe what Chiyoko was capable of. Finally, even what he himself was capable of.

He had no plans to hit her or physically harm her in any way. But when he saw her hand land on Aina's face, he couldn't control himself and just did it. He didn't think. He did it and didn't regret any of it.

A gentle wind from the half-open window ruffled her dark hair, and her eyes wandered somewhere outside the given window.

"It's okay, I've been through worse." Aina remarked quietly after a moment of silence, still looking out the side window.

Memories of everything she had been through in her life flashed through her mind. Not just the Borderlands. But her own real life as well. It was as if someone was hitting her in the chest, in the stomach, wherever an invisible hand could reach.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she remembered the unpleasant period in her childhood. She was tormented by remorse and therefore gently closed her eyes and pushed the memories to the back of her mind. After all, it had been a long time since all this had happened. It should have been a closed chapter long ago, at least that's what she always told everyone. Even if it wasn't entirely true. She thought about it often. Maybe a lot more often than she should.

"Take me to my place, please. You should go back to the event." She said quietly, still looking out the window, soft tears glistening in her eyes.

Chishiya furrowed his brows and due to growing anger, he gripped the steering wheel in his hands a little harder than before.

"Why should I go there without you? Besides, it probably wasn't a very good idea to go there at all."

"Do not talk like this. You were looking forward to it," she rested her gaze on his face, "and I messed it up. I'm sorry."

"Huh," his lips twitched into a small smirk, "When are you going to unlearn it?"

Aina raised her eyebrows without saying a word and waited with parted lips for what he would say next.

"You are not to blame for what happened there. It's not your fault, so finally stop blaming yourself for something you didn't do."

His words were like a caress to her wrinkled soul and at the same time reminded her of what she had heard from him once before. It was like deja vu.

Her hands shook gently. She took a deep breath and slowly, with a heavy exhalation, turned her face in front of her. Her chest felt warm and she found the corners of her lips lifting into a subtle smile.

She was snapped out of it all by Chishiya's hand, which suddenly found itself on her thigh and with a slow movement of his thumb, he caressed the skin that was covered by thin, transparent stockings.

Despite this barrier, however, she could feel how soft and gentle his touch was. Her eyes fell in the other direction and she finally lifted her head up. When she saw how he was able to fully concentrate on driving the car despite his hand on her thigh, her breath caught somewhere in the middle of her throat. She hissed softly as his grip on her leg grew stronger. She thought she was going to melt on the spot when she noticed how his lips curled into a dangerous smile. It was when he momentarily turned his face towards her that she lost it all. His eyes were deeply fixed on hers. He knew very well what he was doing so far. He had no plans to drop her off at her place in the slightest. He knew he couldn't do it tonight.