chapter fifty

Chapter 50

"You touched my soul long before I knew what your hands felt like."

With a pale face and tears in her eyes, she tried to process the phone call from Chishiya, but she canceled it before she could hear him saying something important. If she had listened to his voice a little bit longer, she would have heard him finally decide to tell her how he really felt.

However, she was still angry with him, but still a piece of her heart lit up when she heard his voice and as she realized that he was trying to fix what happened between them. But she was afraid that he was talking  under the influence of alcohol and she did not want to discuss their situation when he was not completely sober.

She leaned against the back of the chair she was sitting on, let out a soft sigh and couldn't stop her lips from curling into a smile.

Even though her eyes were filled with tears, she felt a small sense of happiness. She had already experienced this when Chishiya was drunk. Even several times. It was then that his kinder side of himself showed. She often thought of the moment when they were in Borderland, when they had once spent an evening together in the park near her house. They both had a lot to drink, but they were still sober enough.

She remembered how different Chishiya was back then. He was gentler, kinder and most importantly, more human. She knew that Chishiya let his warmer side decide then, that's why he didn't like to drink, or at least he was careful about how much alcohol he poured into himself.

Chishiya angrily leaned against the cold tiles of the wall and tilted his head back, staring at the white ceiling. An uncomfortable feeling of emptiness gripped his chest, longing for something to fill the cold place in his heart. He felt lost and attributed it only to not having her around. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get her out of his head and was slowly losing hope that it would ever happen. But he still struggled with whether to let his feelings prevail in his actions, or to help his head overcome the longing for Aina.

He wanted her to know how he felt, but he was afraid that in time he would hurt her again.

He liked her, but sometimes he couldn' reconsider what would fly out of his mouth and say things that would end up making him sad.

Even if he doesn't tell anyone about it and always keeps these regrets to himself.

He was suddenly torn from his thoughts by a bang and the sound of the door handle, which indicated that an unknown person was rushing to the toilets.

That was the right time for Chishiya to peel himself off the wall and walk out with his hands in the pockets of his hoodie.

His vision was getting blurry, but it was still not so bad that he couldn't walk to the front door without help.

He took a deep breath and took out a cigarette from his hoodie pocket, which he put between his lips and lit with a lighter. He happily inhaled the smoke from the cigarette into his lungs and walked slowly back home. His legs wobbled gently, but he still managed to walk to the door of the house where he lived with his father.

He unlocked the door and crept in with a thud of his clumsy feet. He slammed the door and kicked off his black sneakers, trying not to make too much noise so as not to wake his father.

He thought he wouldn't catch him again, but the opposite was true. Little did he know that his father was still in his room waiting for his son to return home.

As Chishiya was about to sneak up the stairs to his room, he was stopped at the first step by his father's voice calling his name.

"What do you want? Can't you see I have to go to sleep?" Chishiya lookef  at him in annoyance.