🂳 16 🂳

"Say you want me too."

Chapter 16

Before Chishiya came here, he had escorted Chiyoko to the subway station where he waited with her for the train. He didn't want to go home and his steps led to Shibuya. To the place where it all started and so he found himself here, together with Aina by his side.

"Where were you when that meteorite fell?" Chishiya broke eye contact and looked ahead.

"Huh?" Aina found herself not paying attention to what Chishiya was saying.

She wasn't focused enough on the conversation because she forgot to look away from Chishiya. All she could think about was how much she wanted to lean on his shoulder and breathe in the scent of his shirt.

Chishiya smirked and turned his eyes back to Aina.

"I asked where you were when the meteorite fell. Were you here, at home or where?" Chishiya asked, this time looking ahead again.

Hearing his question, Aina looked away and rubbed her shoulders with her palms to banish the memory of him asking her the same question long ago. Long before he forgot about Aina.

"I was here. What about you?" Aina tried to continue the conversation and asked him the same question he asked her, even though she already knew the answer.

"I was here too." Chishiya took a slow step forward, away from Aina.

He stopped only after the fifth step, when he turned back to her.

"Aside from the fact that you keep saying we know each other from another world... Do you remember seeing the fireworks before this whole thing happened?" he asked, a gentle wind blowing his face away hair from his cheeks.

"Yes, it looked like fireworks. I remember," Aina slowly walked over to Chishiya with her arms folded across her chest and continued, "that everyone started pulling out their phones and looking at the sky. I went with the crowd and looked there too. Well then," Aina widened her eyes and fell silent.

She didn't want to bring up things from the Borderland again that Chishiya doesn't trust anyway.

"And then?" he offered for her to continue her thoughts.

But Aina did not allow herself to be provoked and remained silent. Chishiya smiled as his eyes wandered to Aina's face. She was still looking in front of her and the moments she experienced when she found out that she was alone in the whole city after those fireworks were replayed in front of her eyes.

Chishiya must have been looking at her face and the strands of hair blowing in the air for too long, because Aina managed to wake up from her thoughts and looked at Chishiya, who immediately turned his head forward with a smile.

"If you don't want to talk about it, you don't have to." He said and moved forward again, except this time he turned slightly to the right. Aina watched with furrowed brows as he stood almost in the middle of the now demolished road and then he looked back at Aina.

"Where were you standing then? I was right here when I was looking at the sky." He grinned, standing still.

Aina's lips curled into a smile and she lowered her face to the ground to hide the fact that he had made her laugh. The memories of how she had stood here with him once before and he had said similar things to her as he did today were opening up in her head again. He asked her similar things.

Chishiya kept his eyes on her as Aina decided to move to a spot not far from him on his right at the crosswalk.

"I was passing this way." She smiled.