CHAPTER FIFTY ONE

The next group of candidates for the day consisted of the beast makers. Expectations were high, and a crowd gathered, waiting for the arrival of at least ten experienced beast masters. However, to everyone's surprise, only three individuals appeared to compete for the position.

Confused murmurs and puzzled glances were exchanged among the onlookers as they attempted to comprehend the unusual turn of events. Typically, the beast master division drew a substantial number of candidates, as finding people for this division wasn't very rare unlike the other two division.

Besides the fact that there were only three beast masters present this year, an additional element of surprise added to the confusion – there was a woman among them. It was a rare thing for women to pursue the path of becoming beast masters, partly due to the division's commander whose name was Garrick being known for his sexist views and doubting a woman is good enough to be part of his division.

Each division commander had power over their division, with only Grand General Kira having the power to make changes within each division if she is not satisfied with certain things the commander do. However, Grand General Kira rarely intervened in their affairs unless the situation was very important.

As the candidates marched on the field, a noticeable look of disapproval swept over Commander Garrick's face the moment his eyes fell on the woman among them. It was the very same woman who had spoken to Thorian just moments ago. She was now standing confidently on the field, wearing a confident expression and crossing her arms over her chest.

Commander Garrick wasted no time and directed a question at her, his tone carrying annoyance, "And who might you be?"

With a smirk, the woman introduced herself, "I am Erza," she replied, unfolding her arms and waving playfully at the commander. Commander Garrick, clearly displeased by her behavior, furrowed his brows and started throwing questions at her.

"I don't recall training you here, young lady. What exactly brings you to this place?" he asked once more, while Erza took a deep breath before answering.

"I am the daughter of the chief of Wild Forge Village." Gasps echoed through the crowd immediately she mentioned her status.

"She's the chief of that village daughter?" One of the people behind Jamari exclaimed. "I've heard stories about that Chief; he's the best beast master, even surpassing the Commander. But for some reason, he's refused to join Drakonia's army, and his majesty hasn't forced him to join either. I wonder why."

"We all know his majesty has never been one to force anyone to serve in his army," another person chimed in. "He prefers loyalty without the use of force or power." The group nodded in agreement.

"You are Kaela Ironclaw's daughter," Commander Garrick said with a sharp edge in his voice. "Kaela promised to send someone powerful to join the division this year. Doesn't he have a male heir? I was expecting a male, not a mere female."

"Well, he does have a son," Erza replied, her tone dripping with sarcasm, "but he's just a child. I'm sure you don't have the time to wait for him to grow up, do you?" She raised an eyebrow as she spoke.

"In this case, I would have preferred to wait for the male child to mature and join the division. It would be far more preferable to sending you," Commander Garrick said, his words laced with scorn.