CHAPTER FORTY ONE

I stared at Cedrick in disbelief, his words ringing in my ears. Why did he want to marry me? What was his motive for taking on the responsibility of a child that wasn't his own? I'd always suspected that Cedrick had feelings for me, but I had never imagined it might extend to this extent.

"Cedrick, do I look like someone in need of pity?" I questioned, studying him intently, attempting to figure out the meaning behind his actions. "Or perhaps, am I just someone to be toyed with?" I added, my tone filled with confusion and uncertainty.

"Kira, what are you talking about?" Cedrick asked, his expression one of confusion. I swallowed hard, turning away from him, determined to hold back any further tears that threatened to spill.

"I am not someone you should pity, Cedrick. Relationships built on saving reputations or pity rarely last," I confessed, drawing in a deep breath. "You're better than that."

Cedrick's eyes focused on me, his grip on my hands tightening. "Kira, it's not about foolishness," he said earnestly, leaning in closer. "You deserve absolute happiness, and while I can't promise perfection, I'll give my all to make you happy, to give you the joy you deserve."

With a tender touch, he lifted my chin and turned my head to face him, his eyes soft and sincere. Tears streamed down my cheeks, and his thumb delicately wiped them away. His voice shook as he implored, "Just grant me one chance, please."

I found myself locked in a stare with Cedrick, his deep brown eyes revealing nothing but genuine admiration and respect. It was refreshing, but I struggled to accept that someone could truly want me, free from any hint of pity.

"Cedrick, please," I sighed, withdrawing my hand from his grasp and diverting my gaze. I was showing too much emotions right in front of him, and it was a vulnerability I was unaccustomed to and growing uncomfortable with. Weakness didn't suit me, and the idea of being pitied was unbearable.

"Kira....."

"Cedrick, you should go," I insisted, cutting off his next words.

"Kira I mean everything I just said and I am not doing it out of pity" he said

"Why do you want to marry me then?" I demanded, staring at him intensely , eager for his answer. "What's your reason for embracing the role of a father to another's child? Why choose a marriage with me, knowing happiness might not be for you in that marriage?"

He started to speak but then abruptly closed his mouth, shifting his eyes away, clearly struggling to find the right words. I nodded in understanding, pressing my lips together firmly as I said, "I had a feeling. Your motivations seem to stem from pity, and nothing more."

"Kira..."

"Cedrick, please, just leave," I urged, my voice filled frustration. "Walk away, and let's pretend this never occurred." I didn't want to hear his explanations; I simply wanted peace. Sensing my need for space, Cedrick slowly rose from his seat and quietly exited my room, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I curled my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms tightly around them, and buried my face within, letting my tears flow freely. Despite the years I've lived, I've learned to bottle up my emotions. Self-pity seemed pointless at this juncture.