CHAPTER FIFTEEN

***FOUR DAYS EARLIER******

Marcella cautiously entered the king's private quarters, her voice filled with concern as she asked, "What do you plan on doing with her? The Vedan girl, what are your intentions?"

King Herad smirked, a subtle amusement playing on his lips. "Why is it your concern?" he retorted, his tone dismissive.

Undeterred, Marcella paused briefly before continuing, her voice unwavering, "I just... I wish to know. Tell me, Your Majesty."

Rising from his lavish throne, King Herad stood before her, his presence dominating the room. He closed the distance between them, his voice tinged with curiosity. "You must think me a fool," he declared.

Puzzled by his statement, Marcella furrowed her brow and asked, "What do you mean, my lord?"

Drawing nearer, King Herad lowered his voice to a whisper, his penetrating gaze fixed on her eyes. "What connection do you have with the Vedan girl?" he asked, suspicion and a trace of anger woven into his words. "I can see the concern and affection hidden in your eyes, despite your attempts to hide it."

Caught off guard by his observation, Marcella's heart skipped a beat. The secret she had desperately tried to hide now lay exposed before the powerful king. She hesitated, torn between revealing her true feelings or retreating further into a web of deception.

Closing the remaining gap between them, King Herad intensified the atmosphere, his voice quiet "Tell me, Marcella, what connection do you have with the Vedan?"

"I have dedicated years to protecting this kingdom," Marcella declared firmly. "Why should you think that I would suddenly do anything to jeopardize it?"

"I want to believe your words," King Herad replied, pacing back to his imposing throne. "However, I have made a decision. The Vedan girl will be killed, like all Vedans."

Marcella couldn't contain her emotions any longer. "She is your child," she burst out. "Would you truly kill your own flesh and blood?"

The king's face registered shock. "What did you say?" he asked, his voice trembling.

Taking a moment to compose herself, Marcella continued, "She is the daughter that the queen bore. The queen didn't die at her hands; she willingly sacrificed herself."

"Lies!" Herad spat out, his anger flaring.

"You are so blinded by your anger that you place blame on the innocent child for the queen's death," Marcella retorted. "If only you could see the truth."

"Get out!" Herad roared. "You are no longer welcome in this palace. You are no longer fit to call yourself a sorceress."

"Please, don't make the mistake of harming your own child," Marcella pleaded desperately.

"You don't understand," Herad replied, his voice laced with anger. "Now more than ever, I am determined to end her life. Leave and never set foot before me again, Marcella." He paused, his voice cold and biting. "You are weak, your magic is fading, and you are not at your strongest. I could easily order your execution for this betrayal, but I won't, for you have indeed helped this kingdom tremendously before. Now, LEAVE!"

His words struck deep within Marcella's core. It was true; despite her youthful appearance, she had lived for centuries, and her magic was waning with each passing day. She took a deep breath, silently acknowledging the truth, and bowed once more before leaving the chamber.

King Herad, consumed by hatred and vengeance, vented his fury by hurling objects against the walls. Marcella's revelation had ignited an inferno within him, intensifying his desire to kill Jamari, even though he knew deep down that she was his own child.