CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

"Again!" The instructor bellowed as I retrieved my wooden sword from the floor, determined to face my opponent

"Again!" The instructor bellowed as I retrieved my wooden sword from the floor, determined to face my opponent. However, she moved with lightning speed and incredible strength, effortlessly evading my reckless strikes and striking me in vulnerable areas. I crumpled to the ground, coughing up blood. Laughter and whispers filled the air among the onlookers.

"Are you even making an effort anymore?" My opponent, a slender woman with short orange hair, taunted with a sly grin. "Lyra was right; you don't belong here."

I forced myself back onto my feet, clutching the wooden sword once more, ready to attack. But once again, she deftly sidestepped my strike and delivered a punishing blow with her own wooden sword, sending me sprawling in pain.

"That's enough for now," the instructor declared. "You all may break for lunch and return in the next fifty minutes."

The collective groan of disappointment rippled through the onlookers as they slowly left, leaving me alone with my opponent who scanned me from head to toe, her eyes filled with disdain, before muttering, "Useless," and walking away.

The instructor, a stern figure with years of experience, approached me with a measured tone. "Athena, the girl you just fought against, joined us five days before your arrival, and yet she's already surpassed you in skill, Celeste." She paused, her gaze searching mine, and then she continued, "Are you genuinely putting any effort?"

No, I'm not. There's no burning desire within me to excel in this. I'm not cut out to be a fighter, and the thought of committing to this training holds little appeal. My only yearning is for freedom.

Freedom.

It was a beautiful concept, a distant dream that seemed unattainable in this Kingdom.

"Yes, ma'am, I'm giving it my all," I replied, masking my true feelings with a lie.

She took a deep breath, her expression filled with concern, and asked, "If that's the case, how often do you find the time to practice on your own?"

Ermm... I stammered, struggling to find the right response.

She sighed before stating, "If you want to excel at something, you must put in the effort." She placed her hands on my shoulders and added, "Now, go and eat. Consume enough to become healthy and strong."

"Yes, ma'am," I replied as I walked away. I entered the dining area, where the trainee typically dined. Food was served at the counter, and we each took our portions before finding a table.

I located an unoccupied table in a quiet corner and sat down to enjoy my meal. However, it appeared that peace wasn't in the cards for me that day, as an unwelcome voice disrupted my meal. "We want to take this table, get lost""