37 | Unforeseen Circumstances

CLAUDIA

Claudia thought NYC was the ideal place to live, but after exploring other destinations, she found them equally amazing, if not better. After this road trip, she understood why the city had always been her favorite: it was hectic and packed like other American towns.

What made her think about that?

Nothing came to her.

Before filling up on fuel, they placed tulips at the base of a tree in a Worcester park. Dominic took care of the clar while Claudia got snacks and drinks inside a convenience store. The surrounding neighborhoods had Victorian-era mills, three-story homes, and scattered diners. Everything differed from what she had been familiar with.

With arms full of food that would add eight pounds to her ass in a heartbeat, Claudia crossed the cracked sidewalk as an 18-wheeler parked beside the store. Windows up and tinted, it slowed as it passed her.

She shivered despite the heat as she hurried to where Dominic was shutting the latch on the gas tank. "See the truck?"

As he slipped half of the unhealthy sweets from her arms, he cast a sidelong glance behind him. "Yeah. Feel like something is off?"

Perhaps Claudia was panicking. She shrugged. "It freaked me out. The driver rode leisurely down the road. It was as if someone were tracking me."

While Dominic examined them, he opened the car door for her. He wore dark eyeglasses and suede pants, and he looked very intimidating.

As soon as the other car door opened, she slid in. A hefty older man in overalls hopped down and walked straight into the store, not bothering to look back.

She released a sigh of relief and flashed Dominic a bright smile. "I suppose he was watching to see that I made it across the street."

He chuckled before shutting the door.

The stress subsided as they traveled and ate. She learned that he could drive with one hand. It didn't take her long to become comfortable with his free hand. It seemed Dominic could do anything.

Throughout the trip, they saw glimpses of passing Mafia members a few times, but nobody caused any trouble.

Outside of Lincoln Park, though, his ability to spot a rival from afar was going off like a detonator. As they neared her apartment on 5th Avenue, bile was eating her stomach.

He clutched her knee. "You're scared."

"Is it obvious?"

"No." Dominic inhaled deeply and exhaled. "But maybe we shouldn't continue."

She watched him. "Too late. Who can we trust to finish this now that we're close?"

"Nobody." He coasted to the right. "We don't know if anyone is watching. Lorenzo's men are swift. They'll be on top of us before we know it."

Her emotions shifted. "I know."

When Claudia saw Rockefeller Center, she knew they were almost there. She doubted her decision to go back to her house, and she wasn't certain whether or not their situation might change.