13 | Welcome To Life In The Mafia

CLAUDIA

When Claudia opened her eyes again, there was a strange metallic taste in her mouth. Rain pounded on the roof as thunder roared in the distance. A nearby lightning strike generated a fine current of electricity in the air.

When did it start raining?

Although the skies had been dark and even thick, Claudia couldn't remember them being particularly oppressive.

She exhaled deeply, puzzled.

Something warm and solid was pressing on her shoulder. She turned her head and felt the object rise quickly and then slowly relax back down. She realized what had happened only after he pushed her cheek against his body. Outside on the back patio, he had his arm around her waist, pinning her to his side.

She was hesitant to move.

Every cell in her body felt the effects of Dominic's touch.

How his thigh formed to conform to hers. His stomach moved under her touch as he took deep, regular breaths. His thumb slid in slow, soothing circles around the hem of her blouse while his hand curled around her hip. When his thumb brushed against the shape of her waist, each circle raised the cloth a little higher, exposing her skin. Body against body. Claudia was warm and chilly. A sensation that she was unfamiliar with.

His hand came to a complete stop.

She glanced up and looked into a pair of gorgeous, dark eyes. "What... what happened?"

Dominic whispered, removing his arm from around her waist, "You passed out."

"Really? Just like that?" As he moved her knotted hair out of her face, Claudia flinched. The metallic taste lingered on the top of her lips.

Dominic nodded. "Maybe the bear frightened you. I brought you back to my house."

"You did?" Dammit. And I missed that? "Where... what happened to the bear?"

"The storm scared it," Dominic said. "I think it was lightning." He sighed as he scanned her. "Are you feeling better?"

A dazzling streak of light blinded her for a brief second. The heavy rain was quickly drowned out by the rumbling of thunder. Shadows flanked Dominic's expression.

Claudia shook her head. "The storm made the bear scared?" she asked.

He shrugged a shoulder. "All I know is that when thunder reverberated close by, it fled."

"So, that is what that light was about?"

He nodded.

"And the lightning didn't hit us?"

"Nope."

"We got lucky then," she said, looking down. They were both soaked. The rain was falling harder, making it difficult to see more than a few feet of the yard, creating the impression that they were in their little world. "It rains here, just like it does in Seattle, where I lived for three years." She didn't know what else to say. Everything in her mind crumbled. "I kind of miss it there."

Dominic touched her on the knee with his. "I'm sure you do."

"I feel like a drowned cat in my skin."

"You look fine, though. The wet look suits you."

Claudia smirked. "I guess I walked into that one."

He chuckled softly. "You are incredible, Dia."

She scoffed. "Now I know you're lying."