12 | Interests

CLAUDIA

Claudia had no choice but to circle to the front door and enter quietly so Dominic and his brother could carry on their strange argument inside the kitchen. She assumed it was her fault, but she didn't know.

Giovanni's first impression wasn't good, and she wasn't sure how she felt about him. She washed up in Dominic's bathroom and didn't care that he seemed judgmental and conceited. She became nervous when she could barely hear their faint words downstairs.

By late Sunday evening, neither of them had heard from the doctor, so Claudia went downstairs to see what Dominic was doing. Giovanni's car started and left the driveway, so she knew he wasn't there anymore.

She reached the back patio as Dominic stood by the column with his hands in his pockets. He glanced at the night sky with his back to her. Clouds covered the few stars that shone.

Claudia stepped outside and looked at him. Dominic's head dropped like he'd strained a muscle. She asked, "What are you doing?"

His eyes stayed toward the sky. After a few seconds, one corner of his upper lip turned up.

Dominic took a deep breath. "I like to watch the clouds. There's something about them, you know." He looked at her and back up at the sky. "The sky is endless." His voice was roughly thick.

"Has your crazy brother stopped yelling at you for being with me?"

"For now. But Giovanni could always come back for more."

Claudia didn't know if Dominic was joking or if he was serious. "Well, I'm okay with missing the next argument."

"Yeah. So, what were you doing upstairs?"

"Doing what I always do while watching reality television."

"Oh?" he said. "Which one is it this time?"

She snickered a little as she stood next to him. "Keeping Up With The Kardashians."

"You've got to be kidding." Dominic turned and leaned against the post to look at her. Derision pinched his features. "You watch that nonsense?"

He made it sound like it was wrong to watch real-life TV. Claudia appreciated the drama that came with the show. She found the family to be entertaining.

"Yes, I do," Claudia replied. "Does that bother you?"

"No." Dominic clamped his lips together and shook his head. "The more I learn about you, the more I like the idea of all the reality TV you watch. Which show do you like more?"

She gave a sweet smile. "I like so many of them that it's hard to choose just one."

"Come on, Dia," he said, chuckling. "You must have a favorite." Dominic gave her a half-grin. "What do you find so appealing about them? The script? The drama? People who cheat on each other?"

"Haha, jokester!" She let out a sigh. "I like how the studio coaches the participants throughout the program."

"Are you okay knowing that most of them are set up? Possibly scripted?"

She burst out laughing at that. "It makes no difference to me. I just like to watch."

Dominic looked confused by her reply. "So you don't care if everything on a reality show is fake?"

"It's no different from what we're doing," she said as she straightened up. Claudia had gotten his attention now. "We have to act like the people on those TV shows, right?"