28 | Temptation 🌶️

DOMINIC

As Dominic watched Claudia sleep, he couldn't help but reflect on how far the two of them had come since they first met. It's been exactly three weeks since she applied for a position at his company. A job that lasted all of four hours before she chose to quit to see where their budding romance would lead.

Saving her from this mess involved more than just taking a risk. It was a nail in the universal coffin. Dominic had separated from his father and committed several murders in her honor. Both of them would be followed no matter where they went.

His life during the past few years had been pleasant and tranquil, despite how much he hated being a part of the Mafia sometimes. He had thrown that away with precision, and why?

Dominic rose on his elbow, careful not to disturb the beautiful woman who lay beside him.

There were five freckles on Claudia's nose and cheeks, forming a constellation of sorts.

For the first time in his entire life, he found himself envying regular families.

Other people had the one aspect that he never had growing up—choices. When Dominic was in the bathroom, he would have given just about anything to pursue a career in medicine, to help soothe Claudia and help fix the aches she had experienced. If he was never involved with the Mafia, neither of them would've been hurt or had hurt anyone else.

Mine.

That whole way of thinking was faulty. Mafia members in his circle rarely settled down with anyone on the outside and doing so with a random person was rare for a shit-ton of obvious reasons, but even his sister had settled with a woman she cared about. So had Vinny.

Dominic didn't want to claim Claudia as his woman, and it would be better if he didn't. But he never did the denial crap until now. Why all of a sudden? He wanted her, he desired to be one with her, and not just physically but legally and emotionally. He didn't feel like that could ever happen. Not for a man like him—a criminal.

He lay back, letting out a low groan. He hadn't fought anyone in the last few hours, but he was already itching to rip somebody's head off like a damn addict. And that is what many men in his group had become. An addict bred over decades of fighting with enemies. They had to protect what was theirs.

Spouse.

He was restless, skin itchy and his throat was parched. His dick was stiff, too, but that had more to do with the curvy body beside him than the lack of killing somebody in cold blood.

Dominic was still mind-blown by the fact Claudia had asked him to lie next to her, knowing how horny he was. He wanted to think that it was shock that has propelled him to do what she pleaded, but it was ridiculous. He climbed into the bed with her because he wanted to. He needed to feel her warmth caress his skin, her breath and soft moans fan his cheeks, her ass so close to his and causing him to feel an even harder erection.

He wanted to have sex with her until they were both exhausted, but he realized that it was better to stay in his lane. He was afraid that if he touched her now, she might withdraw. It meant the world to him that he had earned her trust back.

Wife.

The smart thing would've been to stay in the chair like he wanted to, but he couldn't resist her requests. Settling beside her has been okay for now. He will feel the need to please her, to please both of them, but he should be able to maintain himself for a couple of hours. He'd feel the need to fight again, soon, no matter what. To see this shit through he had to be at the top.