27 | Sanctuary

CLAUDIA

Claudia couldn't think of anything to say. Her mind seemed to have processed what had happened in the past few hours, and she felt otherwise expected, but she found herself at a loss for words.

Was it acceptable to say thank you?

In some ways, it didn't feel right, but at that point, she was so accustomed to it that she remained silent.

And she was unable to take her eyes off the hand that was holding her.

Dominic's hand seemed normal, with decent skin and bone. It was the same hand that had taken the lives of five others earlier in the night. His touch was unusually cool compared to other men's.

Her throat tightened at the way he gripped her palm as if he were afraid of harming her. She doubted he was aware of his compassionate nature.

She glanced at him.

Dominic was silent, and he looked the same as he had before—absurdly attractive but deadly serious. This odd combination had always fascinated her. He was holding his lips together tightly. His sunken cheeks came off stronger. It looked like bruises were starting to show up on his face in the car's low lighting.

Her worry developed rapidly. Both Dominic and Edoardo fought like it was their last. Something like that had never happened in her life. It was like a scene from a movie, but he was alive and able to keep moving.

"Do you need to pull over?" Claudia asked in a hoarse whisper.

His attention shifted to her. "No, it's okay. I'll be fine."

"After fighting like that, how could you keep going?"

He did not react. "It's not the first time I've fought before."

Not the first time? That made her feel sad for him. "You must've grown up to learn to defend yourself."

"I did." He paused and pulled back his hand. "My father taught his kids how to fight right after we turned four."

"Wow. Damian Beretta didn't waste any time."

"Nope." Dominic popped the word's final syllable.

Nothing else came out of her mouth. After that, they both stayed silent while her hand went from warm to chilly.

By the time he took the exit ramp and turned into a small motel on the outskirts of New York City, dawn had begun to creep along the northern horizon, bathing the sky in breathtaking shades of deep blue. They were still deep in the state but had placed several hours and miles between themselves and the mansion.

Claudia waited in the BMW while Dominic checked out the area.

He parked the car behind the building after explaining that he rented a room in the back. He didn't appear concerned that someone might recognize him. She kept anticipating more criminals coming out of nowhere since Dominic had caused further problems with a family.

"It doesn't appear so eerie here," he said, grabbing their luggage from the trunk. "We should be able to rest, clean up, and maybe get some sleep."

Claudia trailed him, exhausted, examining the dimly illuminated parking lot.

Something struck her at that moment. "Will they track us? You rented the room under your name."

His soft lips formed a slight grin. "We're okay. I used an alias."

"Oh." She smiled. "Why didn't I think of that?"

Dominic double-checked. "It's all right. We had to go quickly and didn't have time to iron out the details. Let's take a look inside."