19 | Dysfunctional Families

DOMINIC

Dominic stared at Alessandro's back in the moist morning air and ancient trees. It had to be now for his brother to show up.

Laughing, Alessandro tossed his head. "I like your setup. Do you think—?"

Dominic punched him before he could finish.

He dropped. Dominic stood against the tree in silence, counting how many times he had broken his brother's bones over the years. Around twelve? Definitely more.

His brother hunched over and crossed his arms. Dark energy rose from the soil as soothing rain fell on their skin. White smoke enveloped the lowest branches, turning the leaves dark brown when touched.

Alessandro's form emerged. As he turned, elegance hid the predator behind his innocence.

Alessandro stared at Dominic. "What the hell, Nicco?"

"I can't help myself. I love beating you to death."

"Well, stop messing around. Fuck!" Alessandro fixed his shirt. "If you weren't my brother..."

"You'd do what? Kill me?" Dominic moved in front of him and avoided tripping over a trunk. "Or do you think you can take me?"

Alessandro laughed. "You seriously believe you're stronger than I am? You don't train with anyone. You're weak. I could kick your ass across this forest."

"You want to go there? Fight me?"

"If it helps, Dominic. You're the company's brat. Satisfying customers while our enemies thrive! You're marrying a stranger to avoid Dad's expectations. You thought I'd keep quiet about that? You don't date. Women are gas tanks to you. After a few pumps, you're gone. Did you ever tell Claudia about your sexual activities after your fiancée died?"

Dominic laughed and twisted halfway before turning.

Alessandro would experience something new from his older brother.

Dominic grabbed his neck and tossed him. He knocked down several branches with his brother's enormous body. He grabbed him and squeezed his throat. "Nicco says to shut the fuck up!"

Alessandro chuckled and threw his hands in the air. "Oh, Big Brother Nic has recently fucked, hasn't he? Not with Claudia. I seriously doubt a classy woman like that could give you such a boost. If so, can I try her, just a little taste, and maybe come in her?"

Dominic smashed Alessandro's head so hard against the tree that it cracked, but his asshole brother just laughed. "Alex, you never knew when to shut up!"

Alessandro replied, "And you've never had the guts to do what's right. Let the bitch go, for her own good."

Dominic took a step back before doing something he would later regret.

There were times, like this one, when he wanted to kill his brother, yet Alessandro was family. They shared a history and a blood connection.

"First of all, this fight has nothing to do with doing what is right," Dominic said, keeping his eyes on Alessandro. "And second, don't ever call the woman I love a bitch. You got that?"

"Crystal." Alessandro inhaled deeply while looking over Dominic. "So, you love this woman?"

"That's not..." He chewed his lower lip and tried to figure out why he had said that about Claudia. Dominic was still getting to know her, and it was too soon for him to fall in love. "She has nothing to do with this. Because of the family feud, our sister died. No, don't you fucking look away from me."