23 | Repercussions

Author's note: Please take caution. Sensitive topics are discussed in this chapter, as are other parts of the story from this point on. Reader discretion is advised.

DOMINIC

Claudia slept in the guest room after two more days of silence. Dominic didn't need to look surprised, and he wasn't. She had no reason to sleep alongside him after he mistreated her, and their contract was over.

Oh, how he missed it. Her desirable body lying so close to him. After their fight, he realized what he had. Claudia was in his home, but not as he wanted. He couldn't say he wanted her back. He would never tell her how much he wanted to be with her. He avoided that.

He wanted to blame Alessandro and Giovanni, who had suggested she be let go for her own benefit. After the jewelry shop shooting, the fake engagement, and the altercation at his hideaway house, Dominic was cautious. He wanted to stop hurting her emotionally.

He had to be careful with her and with himself. He needed courage and morality. Dominic tried but couldn't do all those things with Claudia and be a typical couple. Didn't that matter at all? Doesn't integrity matter?

She broke stuff whenever they ran into each other, so it didn't look like it. Claudia would enter a room by going barefoot and quietly closing the door. Her routine had never stopped. When two people didn't interact, they destroyed things. Dominic felt like they were dating, but they never dated. He understood that.

He realized all of this on Thursday morning. Dominic focused on Claudia's well-being, and not the chaos. He should have focused more on his enemies. He should have reconciled with everyone else and ended this madness. He should have focused on retribution instead of bowing to an angry mafia family since he didn't want to marry Irene Guarini.

How ridiculous, he thought.

He determined it was the silliest perspective after careful deliberation. Still, people were risking their lives in an uproar over this. Why not? Did the other families feel like Dominic had tricked them? Did he offend everybody? That was a major leap. Why can't he marry someone he loves?

The answer was staring him in the face. The clarity. He loved Claudia. One day he hoped to tie the knot with her. This proclamation had the potential to put an end to the conflict for good. But at this point, nobody would believe a word he said. No one, including her. Their relationship would be put to the test. Everyone would think he was protecting himself now. Can he show them they are wrong? Maybe create a baby with her? He might get into trouble for marrying her just to avoid controversy.

He lay in bed, considering his options. His mentality mirrored that of a speeding car traveling down the freeway. He fought. Who could blame him?

Dominic considered Claudia's needs today. He knew she wouldn't be happy about the brief meeting he had set up in the kitchen. It was necessary. He had to go on with his life. When she went on her joy ride, he became furious. If she was shot through the windshield, he'd lose another person he loved. Just once, he'd like to be able to say that to her without feeling awkward. Or, moreover, a dictator.

He went to the bathroom to wash his face and trim his facial hair after getting out of bed. He heard her guest room shower. Oh, how he longed to see that naked body at this moment! He imagined her nipples dripping water over her feet. He visualized her ass under that stream. He only had sex with his late fiancée in the shower, but he wouldn't mind doing the same with Claudia if she wanted to. Well, after they finally had sex; he was still amazed at their self-control on that subject. They were like roommates who barely spoke to each other.