1 | The Interview

First Time Reading (FTR) or Re-Reading?

CLAUDIA

Claudia sat down in the chair, and one of her legs began trembling. She worked hard to make sure it didn't shake, but this was her chance. She saw the potential benefits of her career. No one had responded to her calls, and every other job seemed filled. It was a terrible feeling that took away all of her worth.

She felt alive again in an innovative aluminum office that sold restaurant supplies and made millions.

"Claudia Marcello." It was a masculine voice. She looked up as a man popped his head through the door.

She gave him a friendly smile. For a moment, her fear went away. Not for very long, though. It lasted about as long as she walked. The fight had begun. Claudia entered the interview with the ferocity of a cougar. No one was going to take this opportunity away from her.

Nobody was going to turn me down this time. Think positive. You've got this, Claudia.

She became excited to meet the CEO. She believed he would interview her since she was applying to be his secretary. This was what first got her interested. But the person behind the desk did not look like the person in the pictures. He was not the rumored boss with dark hair and carved biceps. Instead, a man with a beard who wore glasses brought them up to his nose while reading her paperwork. He just glanced at her from time to time, which made Claudia feel like she could be herself. Why did she feel like she had to push herself?

"Ms. Marcello." He stuck out his hand. Before she sat down, she gave it a shake. Claudia smiled again.

Following this, she was in the zone. His questions were hazy. There was nothing that would have made her change her mind about her answers. Her responses came naturally. She could have compared it to a sport. It was quite stimulating.

But for a moment, Claudia thought things were going too smoothly. Because of this, she spoke slowly, as if she had hit a roadblock in the conversation. She doubted he paid any attention to her mumbling. She thought about everything. This man didn't seem interested in hiring her. All of this seemed fairly ordinary. That made her feel nauseated, and this interview caused her to bite her lower lip slightly.

"You have all the qualifications and experience in this field. That is all we need. However, I think someone else should interview you."

Claudia didn't know why she thought his response was bad. Surely, this was a good outcome, right? It meant that she had to go through another interview. That didn't mean he was giving up on her and calling in someone else just because she was too complicated. That was how her mind worked. Her thoughts were more about problems than positive things. His response would have to be promising.