52

Fall from grace
~
Rexton
~

The halls became gloomier and the candles shone brightly against the burgundy-painted walls. It could have posed as blood-splattered walls.

At least, it could have been that to Rexton as he walked on cautiously. Plunging deeper in the cold and thick strain if air that engulfed him, erupting him shivers and goosebumps beneath his clothing.

He could have been suffocating or shivering from the consuming icy and compacted air that clouded the hallways.

His human side wanted to. His human body that pumped cold blood. Through to his heart, to his brain and still provided warm skin that didn't feel the cold.

His lycan side wanted to sprout fur and retain warmth within the tuffs of a thick, resisting coat.

But he couldn't turn, not in the way his brothers could. Not into a ferocious, untameable beast that needed collars and chains to consort control.

Rexton strolled onwards, feeling the essence the cold brought. It was why he shivered like a young boy, trying to vanquish the hisses of the cold-blooded. Attempting to evade the lifelessness of those that take lives.

There was no turning back now.

Rexton was there. In the flesh and ready to be hers.

He was in the thicket of the callous, bloodied hallways with no chance to turn back around.

He wanted to catch her before the sun rose. He couldn't wait another day, another night. This had to happen now.

Adriana didn't need to send messages, or watchers to stalk and report back to her anymore. She didn't need to compel young wolves to do her bidding. She didn't need to control Cole to her use. She didn't need to torment the people around Rexton anymore.

They will be freed.

The smell of blood led him here and his footing paced forward on instinct, quickening his faulty steps further into Adriana's wing.

Rexton could smell the sweet nectar and his lips parted for it, thirsted. He could hear the blood flow leaving one's body.

His nostrils flared as his throat went uncomfortably dry. It was intrusive, a constant and compelling urge that refused to give out. It caved into Rexton's head, the base of his skull and his tongue swept across his champ lips that thirsted to be quenched. Have just a droplet of blood to trickle upon his lip.

Rexton swept into the drawing-room without knocking and found Adriana feasting upon a defenceless human.

Horror roared through him, creeping his throat and he had the sudden urge to vomit.

Rexton drew in a breath and he shoved aside his disgust toward her. He stomped whatever desire that tricked within him, ticking at his throat.

He had to speak with her, face-to-face, without disgust fuelling him to do this. Rexton had to be willing.

"You hurt her," Rexton stated without hesitation as he drew deeper into the room, the blood loitering the room as well as the two entangled bodies on the couch.

Adriana drew back and an array of fangs speared a sharp smile upon hearing Rexton. She
wiped her mouth, smearing the blood across her face and moved off the man bound beneath her.

"Would you like to join us, Rexton? I promise to give you a taste." Adriana teased with a raised eyebrow.

A grave feeling pinned into his chest and any lingering need for blood was gone. "You compelled them. You harmed my mate."