40

Forget the night
~
Rexton
~

"You went to see Erisa?" Rexton frowned, coming to the top of the stairs and watched Cole a few steps below him.

Adriana had allowed him to see them. With a condition. He would be at her side, her date, her toy to prance around tomorrow night. But that reminder slithered away because he will see Cadence, Accalia and Alexene. He would see their faces and that was all that mattered.

"Clearly," Cole moped with a pout. "She didn't seem to want my help though. I made matters worse, I think."

As Rexton strolled down, Cole climbed up, stopping once they faced each other.

"You have done something to her that can never be undone. When werewolves shift, they will either accept their fate or fight it. You will be the cause of her anger for a long time, Cole."

When werewolves were bitten, they either wanted to give in to the one that turned them or destroy them. No in between.

Things came easily to Cole, but if he expected anything to go smoothly with Erisa, he was sorely mistaken.

The lycan tossed his hands in the air and rocked on his heels with an exasperated huff. "Man, I wish I had the same awareness as everyone else."

"I won't tell Adriana that you came down here," Rexton promised.

It made sense why Cole attempted to offend Rexton in front of Adriana. It would set her off, causing her to lash out and it offered the perfect getaway for Cole to slip between her fingers to see Erisa.

Curiosity twinkled in Cole's grey eyes and he smirked with a raised brow. "I left an empty cup of booze next to the guard, it's all over his clothing; tell him he needs to stop drinking on the job."

Rexton wouldn't and clambered the rest of the way down the spiralled staircase.

The more he ascended, the more the smell of decay, foulness and dreariness eroded around him. It hit him hard in the chest that he was given a place of luxury, whilst his family rot from beneath him.

But every foul and potent smell went to the back of his mind as he caught a brief whiff of wild berries and smokiness. Rexton crossed paths with empty dungeons, the corridor bricked and greasily greyed with torches stuck to walls as he strolled down.

As the area became darker, the torches grew brighter to illuminate where one would walk; in murky waters, where rats scampered and clouded in pitiful odours that horrified Rexton's sensitive senses.

Wiping his nose, he crossed by the guard that was slowly coming to and came to the dungeons with beating hearts and fractured souls.

Alexene blended into the darkness of the corner and when she saw Rexton first, she dashed out of the shadows.

Tala and Erisa snapped their heads up, but they were occupied with battling the moon, the chains around them barely holding them.

And then Accalia and Cadence came into view, seated by the walls near the door.

They were all donned in rags that wouldn't offer them anything against the heat or cold that blanketed this place. Every one of their faces was painted in makeup where the eyeshadow, mascara and lips peeled down their faces as if they wore another mask.

A mask of pain and misery.

Dirt and blood donned them as much as their clothing did and the odour of sweat, metal and wet fur made Rexton's eyes water in discomfort.

Had they eaten? Rexton dared himself to inhale and the brief smell of bread and rats took hold of his senses.

He was given fresh and delightful fruits, mingled with an array of blood he could choose from.