21

His blood leaves a trail
~
Accalia
~

"Accalia — Accalia, we have found a scent." Rexton exclaimed passionately.

Footsteps bombarded the room of aid and healing, two figures running and collapsing by the wall.

Cadence and Rexton had been running, it showed with how out of breath the hunter was, clawing for a breath of air with sweat beading her dark olive skin.

The hybrid was untouched by such bodily experiences, but he appeared more human than his mate, frantic with an etch of excitement dancing across his features.

Accalia sat up apprehensively and paid solid attention to the hybrid. "A scent? I know, the lycans and werewolves would have caught it too. He's passed the pack bounds and in the other woods. I had been informed moments ago, but that's all they got."

Cadence was paying attention to Erisa, who sat prompted against the headboard, her steely blue orbs watery.

Accalia gestured Rexton out of the room and to the hallway.

"Cora was the one that freed Cole." Rexton quickly explained.

Accalia exhaled, her teeth chattering together as frustration rippled up and down her skin. "Not surprising, but how do you know?"

"Cadence and I went back to the cellar to see what led to Cole's escape. We found Cora dead with her throat torn out and the keys by her hand. Cole would have been manipulating her these past three months."

Cole knew how to work his way into a woman's heart. More so, when it suited his best interest. He must have learnt from the best, from Adriana that had been known for her tactics of manipulation.

Cora should have been banished on the spot.

Ignoring the unsteadiness of her heart, Accalia focused back on the hybrid whose hope was yet to fade. It didn't burn, but it brightened like a guide, a star to be followed.

If he possessed such promise, a crack of light amidst the darkness for all to be well, why couldn't Accalia?

They had been knocked down too many times to count. Would this be another occurrence?

Accalia believed it to be, but she couldn't decipher why a tickling inkling asked her to say, "You have his scent, where does this leave us?"

Rexton's hand reached out and cupped Accalia's elbow, his eyes holding such promise.

"Accalia, we could find Lycus," Rexton claimed.

Her heart fluttered with delight, with a hope that Rexton restored. The hybrid could lead them in ways no one else could. They could locate Lycus.

Accalia instinctively reached into her back pocket, scooped her phone out and began dialling. "I'll call Gabriel to come here. If we leave, we need an Alpha and Luna to take care of the pack."

——

Gabriel and Nina left the dodgy cabin with their newborn after they were told of the devastation that reaped through the pack.

And without needing to spare another word to each other, Accalia and Rexton slipped back into the room, the lighting dim and faint to protect the harshness of any bright lights against Erisa's eyes.

Change for her would come.

Cadence was nestled in the bed beside Erisa, her long legs dangling over the end of the bed and hands laced behind the back of her head.

Both huntresses dropped looks at the incomers and silenced their running mouths close.

Cadence inclined her head to a wounded Erisa. "I filled her in on everything."